Active Topics

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
How many engineers do u think are internally working on Meego and how many is workong on S^3 as an example?
I don't think the figures are public, but I can assure you that tons of people are working on MeeGo. Nokia and its subcontractors are also recruiting more people for MeeGo and Qt positions all the time. If it was a hobby, it would be a very expensive one.

As you can probably guess, intentionally crippling MeeGo to not compete on the enterprise is not the strategy here. Rather, you should consider this from the E7-coming-out-soon angle, and make your own judgement.

'QmlReddit' reads Reddit!

The Following User Says Thank You to vivainio For This Useful Post:
Enterprise is such a difficult concept. There'd be tons of people saying it's not enterprise because it can't run their old smelly closed source symbian apps, or because it can't access their Mobile VPN, proprietary email protocols, or other things no real people except businesses with more money than sense uses.

To me a business "phone" really needs to be a portable computer with some good phone functionality built in. I want to be as productive when I'm out of the office as when I'm in it...which means my phone needs to pretty much do everything that my desktop computer can do, but some of it needs to be better optimized for a mobile device. This means I need a really good email client that has really robust Exchange support including contacts, calendar, tasks, and shared folders like group calendars. But I also need a big screen and a good web browser so that I can use web apps that my company uses like our cloud based CRM and Project Management software. I need a way to take notes quickly and easily, and since most of my notes include lots of symbols and numbers it would be much easier to do this with a stylus and HWR, then trying to use multiple keyboards. A business class phone also needs to have good multitasking and task switching, because I need to go quickly from writing a note, to looking something up on the web, to cross referencing it with internal documents.

So far I haven't come across a phone that really does all of this very well at all. I haven't used the N900, but I think it is probably the closest...but my understanding is that exchange support is not very good, and I personally think the screen is too small to do good work on. I've been hoping that Meego will have some good devices that will meet these basic requirements, but it looks like they are at least a year away for my carrier still.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
The only reason I can't use my N900 for work is that it won't commit suicide when corporate IT decides to flip that switch.
And you want that? My position[1] is that if corporate IT wants that much power they'd better provide the mobile device themselves and they certainly aren't getting anywhere near mine. Otherwise I'm just not reachable when away, too bad.

[1] (Actually, my position is that if they insist on running msexchange they obviously don't require my services, but that's another story)

Originally Posted by lma View Post
And you want that? My position[1] is that if corporate IT wants that much power they'd better provide the mobile device themselves and they certainly aren't getting anywhere near mine. Otherwise I'm just not reachable when away, too bad.
Well, no. I don't. Which is why I've made no efforts since they enabled provisioning requirements to reconnect. I've also wondered if it's possible to create an open source MfE style plugin that just lies about its provisioning support.

[1] (Actually, my position is that if they insist on running msexchange they obviously don't require my services, but that's another story)
Well, until an alternative to Exchange manages to take hold on a large scale, refusing to work for companies that run Exchange is fairly limiting. But if it works for you, more power to you

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
OK i did go to far by calling it hobbyproject but still I do not think meego(or more exacly harmattan team is that big internally.

If someone can prove me I am wrong fine for me but until then I think symbian has more developers. I take my beloved N900 as an example. We all now it has some issues.... also the fact that they said they will release more maemo based hw this year. And even after meego change this was plans until recenty.

soo again meego needs more payed developers as I see it...

and thats why I dont get why the freak nokia is so damn proud of symbian and dont more faster forward and focusing on moore meego based hw.

Maybe they are doing the right thing I am not an expert but everyday I read about android blablabla or ihpone blabla I starting to wonder are we just stupid geeks waiting for something to happen as an old linuxguru waiting for linux succes on desktop... still were not there even if ubuntu and opensuse is good its not mainstream for non techpeaople..

Originally Posted by vivainio View Post
I don't think the figures are public, but I can assure you that tons of people are working on MeeGo. Nokia and its subcontractors are also recruiting more people for MeeGo and Qt positions all the time. If it was a hobby, it would be a very expensive one.

As you can probably guess, intentionally crippling MeeGo to not compete on the enterprise is not the strategy here. Rather, you should consider this from the E7-coming-out-soon angle, and make your own judgement.

I think just because the symbian teams have large developer base doesnt mean meego is not as important as symbian. I think wise decisions are being taken by very wise senior software ppl to recruit and solve tough problems. They cant just put 100 devs to solve a problem in few days. It has to be taken forward with great care. It not just has to be done but it has to be done very very well (because you can see the competition they canot just hit or miss they just have to *hit* it) for everyone, for you, for facebook crowd, for developers so they can love programming the devices on that platform.
As meego moves forward and a lot of more devices and partners gets added, things will move forward and it'll have large teams form around it too.

Symbian has huge number of devices but most are so similar like same stuff give or take few hw/sw/design combinations to give it another product number hehe .. funny why so many devs work on it ... but yes, its going through a complete overhaul so i guess a lot of devs do make sense. Its the software generating so much revenue for nokia

I think it gives the company great amount of power to have 2 different operating systems. And Qt will make developing software for both so easy.

Just hang in there young padawan ... i feel the Force is strong with meego!