Active Topics

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
honeycomb looks really nice.
do you guys think honeycomb will come for smartphones with bigger displays,like 4 inch and more too?

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The new market is good in features but somehow it looks so bad in the samsung tab browser.
Would android honeycomb OS come down to Samsung galaxy tab?

Originally Posted by leojab View Post
The new market is good in features but somehow it looks so bad in the samsung tab browser.
Would android honeycomb OS come down to Samsung galaxy tab?
We are not too sure about this basing from samsungs update frequency, nontheless our hopes lies on the devs.. I'm pretty sure we'll have the chance to flash it

N9 64gb black

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
honeycomb looks really nice.
do you guys think honeycomb will come for smartphones with bigger displays,like 4 inch and more too?
Do I think that honeycomb will be on smartphones? Probably not.

But I am talking about Honeycomb, more specifically Android 3.0. While I think that smartphones are more than capable of handling Honeycomb, some of the UI considerations would need to be seriously thought out in order to fit on a smaller screen.

The two UI components that come to mind are the lower bar, and the action bar.

The lower bar, is of a lesser concern. This can be accommodated with a single button on a touch-screen device to call it up, even if it covers more of the screen. Alternatively, it can be utilized similar to the notification bar. But it cannot be permanently displayed on the screen as it is in Honeycomb as usable screen space is premium on smartphones.

The biggest trouble from my perspective is the action bar. This is being used by apps as a necessary fixture, and seems that it would be difficult to remove and difficult to fit on the smartphone screen. If the action-bar is a fragment (which it may be), then it will be somewhat easier to accommodate onto a new and smaller form-factor when an app is being designed to fit multiple screens.

Fragments will make it easier for app developers to craft interfaces for smartphones and tablets alike; it's really a clever UI construct. So app content is less of a concern.

I think that smartphones may get Android 3.1, 3.2, or 4.0, but Honeycomb (3.0) seems to be clearly engineered for large screen touch devices aka Tablets. There are more than a few concerns that would have to be worked out in order for it to work on a smaller screen.

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2011-02-04 at 19:38.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
The game is ON!

It looks like the Tab now officially supports.....

Cyanogen Mod 7!

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...or-galaxy-tab/

What does this mean? It means that the Tab gets Gingerbread, and soon it will get Honeycomb.

What a day! This is fantastic news!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
looks like its true that Android Market website is not working if your rooted or using a custom ROM
im only rooted and app downloads and installs very quick but the app is nowhere to be seen on the device!
using market on the device still works though
http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/04/d...your-custom-r/

The Following User Says Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by leetut View Post
looks like its true that Android Market website is not working if your rooted or using a custom ROM
im only rooted and app downloads and installs very quick but the app is nowhere to be seen on the device!
using market on the device still works though
http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/04/d...your-custom-r/
Not true. If you read the comments, you'll notice that many individuals that have installed custom ROMS report that the market is working perfectly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I rooted my Huawei S7, and the market website works. The app I installed didn't show up in the menu right away. It was available as a shortcut for the homescreen though, and ran just fine. A reboot cleared up the menu icon (sorta like the N900 )

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
I'm quite certain that Dan is running a rooted Droid, though I'm not certain if it's a custom ROM. Anyway, he was gushing over the new market a few messages back, which is a good indication that it was working flawlessly for him.

This is why quality components are so important. Take a look at the Dell Streak 7's viewing angles (about half the way through the vid):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac-D7wrnPCA

Gross.

It's even worse considering that it's 800x480.

Small compromises may save you $50-$100, but you'll lose so much more in the long run due to a sub-par user experience. I like the Tegra 2 in this thing, but the screen is a big disappointment.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy