Notices

iCal calendar sync, perhaps?

The Following User Says Thank You to zBeeble For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Antarctica
Gravity. Friggin' gravity.

and increased portrait-mode support.

The Following User Says Thank You to chris_r For This Useful Post:
One word: Shazam.

It's almost the only thing I can't do that my wife can do. I'd like it if the wi-fi sharing app didn't practically say "I CAN MAKE ALL YOUR PRETTY FUNCTIONALITY GO AWAY," but I *need* Shazam. I can make due with tethering on the internet sharing.

The only other thing I need is a portrait mode QWERTY keyboard for SMS, contact searching and web browsing (which I do in Opera now, but it's not full release).

You make my phone able to recognize songs, and I'll ... well, there's no telling how grateful I'd be.

The Following User Says Thank You to hannibaltabu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zBeeble View Post
iCal calendar sync, perhaps?
There's something here on the boards that helped with that. I have full iCal and Address Book synching going on my MacBook Pro ... lemme see here ...

Ah, here from my review ...
... with the amazing help of Dave Smith and the gang at talk.maemo.org, I now have all my calendar and contact information regularly synchronized with my MacBook Pro via the Unofficial N900 iSync Plugin, a work of love and community that makes me so happy I could wet myself. All done without ever trusting a single bit of data to the cloud. Eat me, Android! On the laptop side, it’s sad that what Palm Desktop did in one application takes probably three to do otherwise. Still, upgrade that grade for the N900 to “A-” for PIM and compatibility!
Links and all on my blog. Hope that helps!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hannibaltabu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 468 | Thanked: 775 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hereford, England
Not so much an app but a widget, like dataplan monitor, but to monitor data from wlan, but separate to gprs data. For people on capped wifi or just to know how much data is being used by n900 on wifi.

The Following User Says Thank You to bigears5000 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hannibaltabu View Post
One word: Shazam..............
You make my phone able to recognize songs, and I'll ... well, there's no telling how grateful I'd be.
Have you tried this function in Instintiv?

http://store.ovi.com/content/43941?c...a=applications

The Following User Says Thank You to Crash For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
I am really missing KeePassX,
And a better PDF reader would be nice (remember where you are in each file, better search, table of contents, etc...)
I use the n900 as a netbook replacement, so I sync all of my relevant files in a folder with Drop900/DropBox, I use the Freoffice for the word/excels I use for work, and PDF reader for the pdfs from university, I use Git for syncing some of my devel projects, and more, the only thing I am missing is getting KeePassX to wok decently so I can use it to manage my passwords...

The Following User Says Thank You to dbrodie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by hannibaltabu View Post
One word: Shazam.

It's almost the only thing I can't do that my wife can do. I'd like it if the wi-fi sharing app didn't practically say "I CAN MAKE ALL YOUR PRETTY FUNCTIONALITY GO AWAY," but I *need* Shazam. I can make due with tethering on the internet sharing.

The only other thing I need is a portrait mode QWERTY keyboard for SMS, contact searching and web browsing (which I do in Opera now, but it's not full release).

Unless Shazam write their own, I don't think you'll ever get Shazam. They are remarkably unpleasant when it comes to people trying this sort of thing out for themselves:

http://www.redcode.nl/blog/2010/07/patent-infringement/

It might be possible to take a different approach and implement MusicDNS using PUIDS - more information (via the excellent Picard) here:

http://musicbrainz.org/doc/How_PUIDs_Work

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
Using Firefox the touch site is good. MicroB and Opera make everything too small--I would rather use the real site than those.
Irritatingly, Facebook made some changes to the photo browser in their touch site - as such it is no longer possible to view photos in the touch site on either MicroB or Fennec (not yet tried Opera). Renders the whole thing practically useless.

I wonder if the Symbian webkit Facebook app could be massaged into working on Maemo? It's comparatively decent.

That said, even Jan Ole's Facebook plugin for Gravity made Facebook a decent enough experience. I really hope his Qt port happens soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bigears5000 View Post
Not so much an app but a widget, like dataplan monitor, but to monitor data from wlan, but separate to gprs data. For people on capped wifi or just to know how much data is being used by n900 on wifi.
That's a decent shout actually - especially if it could be partitioned by SSID (eg. I have 500MB free usage per month under BTFON). I'd expect personal-gprs-mon could be adjusted to do this.

Try contacting the maintainer (andrew.olmsted at gmail dot com) and asking if this would be possible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:

Tags
applications, coding, competition, ideas, nokia n900