ok i have a second hand (from amazon) n800 arrive today along with two new 8 gig class 6 sdhc cards

i pluged the cards in one internal one external and booted it up
i downloaded the fm radio tuner and varios other stuff
i pluged it into usb of my laptop and got both cards displayed...
neither have the aps
one has a folder labled .apt-archive-cache
so i go a hunting
seems they have all installed into the device small flash ram how can i tell it to move the apps to the memory card? and how can i install by default to the internal memory card?

please note im a windows user so if the method is terminal based please go slow and step by step lol

thank you in advance (im down to 100megs and still have loads i want to add!!!!)
also i read that you can add repositiories to the device which give you more to download can someone point me in the direction of the essential ones

The applications are installed in the internal flash, not on the cards. The internal flash is much bigger than it looks like, because it uses a compressed file system. I have tons of apps installed and there's still lots of space. No way you're going to run out of application space with anything like normal use. Just make sure you put big data files (media and music and the like, and maps etc.) on the card(s) instead of internal flash.

The reason you can't install applications on the SD cards (out of the box) is that they are FAT formatted, and the braindead Windows FAT filesystem doesn't have support for the 'executable' bit (only read- and write bits and such) (and Windows use the filename extension instead to identify executables - talk about silly).

But then again, with normal use there's no problem with the size of the internal flash. If you need to install applications on SD, look up 'clone to MMC' here on ITT, through the search function.

As for repositories, go to http://gronmayer.com/it/

Last edited by TA-t3; 2008-04-11 at 14:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 316 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, US
I have 64Mb remaining but I'm not worried yet. The apps are not very big.

Did you not reflash the OS when you got it? Was it already flashed for you? (I think I would have done this first for a second hand unit)

The best place for repositories is the list at http://www.gronmayer.com/it/
just don't add any duplicates and add the ones for the correct OS

The Following User Says Thank You to Tabster For This Useful Post:
It's 128 MB, so if you've ''only'' got 100 MB left, you've got it about 20% full. That includes the stuff that came on it.

yeah im now flashing the thing (i hope)
i did see the clone page but to be honest it flys oveer my head
just for clarity if i install dosbox to the main built in flash will the games go in there too or can i put them on the sd card?

i plan to use it for a lot of stuff so i might follow the clone guide , i have one question if i go wrong will it screw my n800 up?

oh and thankyou for such fast replies

If you're tight on space, you can delete the sample movie and sample images. There are also user manuals in a zillion languages. You only need the languages you know, maybe not even that.

I formatted my SD cards with ext3 (i use linux on my desktop, and they're mountable there). This lets you run executables from the SD card. So, you can become root, move bits to an SD card, and use symlinks from the root FS to the SD card. Well, you can if you know how. xterm, gainroot, mke2fs, etc.

Originally Posted by suitti View Post
If you're tight on space, you can delete the sample movie and sample images. There are also user manuals in a zillion languages. You only need the languages you know, maybe not even that.

I formatted my SD cards with ext3 (i use linux on my desktop, and they're mountable there). This lets you run executables from the SD card. So, you can become root, move bits to an SD card, and use symlinks from the root FS to the SD card. Well, you can if you know how. xterm, gainroot, mke2fs, etc.
its like a whole nother language !!!!

i cant seem to flash the device it says my widows clock is wrong (though its not ) arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by mrgreaper View Post
yeah im now flashing the thing (i hope)
i did see the clone page but to be honest it flys oveer my head
just for clarity if i install dosbox to the main built in flash will the games go in there too or can i put them on the sd card?
They can go on the sd card. Get rubybox as well.

ooh my 666 post :/

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-04-11 at 14:57.

Posts: 316 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, US
Originally Posted by mrgreaper View Post
its like a whole nother language !!!!

i cant seem to flash the device it says my widows clock is wrong (though its not ) arghhhhhhhhhhhhh
maybe try hitting Next many many times!

it seemed to work for others!
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...=windows+clock

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tabster For This Useful Post:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...d.php?p=155390 fixed the problem sort of
it asks me for a file
so i have downloaded
RX-34_2008SE_2.2007.51-3_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin 141226447 Software Edition 2008 version 2.2007.51-3 for Nokia N800 The second IT OS 2008 release for Nokia N800

from the link on that forum page and after entering my id code

once flashed i intend to follow http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=clone+MMC%27

i have one quarie though will both the mmc cards show up through windows usb if one is not fat?

im just recharging it to full battire again

Last edited by mrgreaper; 2008-04-11 at 15:10.