Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Thanks for this post chen! I'm glad, that I ordered, even so I struggle a little bit with the size of the device . This post showed once more, that I made the right decision.

Can we make that post sticky?
Maybe if Dave can read it everytime before he posts, all this bitter and accusations will have an end. Maybe he can see that these are more destructive, than in any way helpful.
Even so I doubt, it's worth a try - hope dies at last.
Same thing goes with Apple and google as well then. No accusation(as you call it) on this question on anything towards any company? You cant cherrypicking.

Put on you big boy/girl pants
We need a healy community where we can be displeased with OSs or companies and prefer other.

In this case I was just looking for if it was official jolla or community port and would prefer focus on Maemo Leste and android support since this is my main preference for this device currently.

If you have other plans, hopes for this device. please share it, but please leave me out of the equation since ultimately it doesn’t matter what I want since chen is running the show. Exactly as he is suppose to.

But if you do want to include me for any reason. That is fine to since I am here and can clarify any thoughts you have regarding my posts. But the is better to talk to me and not about me

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2019-03-02 at 08:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Dave, there is no problem to criticize companies or people, if you do it an objective way and in an adequate degree. You have left that path long ago.

What about google or apple? Well I don't like them and in my opinion they do more things wrong, than right. But no, not everything they do is wrong and you can't read my opinion about them in EVERY post i make.

We all know your opinion about Jolla, there is no need to tell us over and over again. Even so I can't understand your over all judgement over them, I think they made some mistakes in the past. But hey humans tend to make mistakes. So did you when you invested in a indiegogo campaign without recognizing, there are some risks for your money.

By the way I have the trousers on that fit to me. Of course you can be displeased with a company. Who am I that I would want to forbid somebody his opinion. A community lives from different opinions and factual discussions.

Last edited by Fellfrosch; 2019-03-02 at 08:50.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Dave, there is no problem to criticize companies or people, if you do it an objective way and in an adequate degree. You have left that path long ago.

What about google or apple? Well I don't like them and in my opinion they do more things wrong, than right. But no, not everything they do is wrong and you can't read my opinion about them in EVERY post i make.

We all know your opinion about Jolla, there is no need to tell us over and over again. Even so I can't understand your over all judgement over them, I think they made some mistakes in the past. But hey humans tend to make mistakes. So did you when you invested in a indiegogo campaign without recognizing, there are some risks for your money.
The refund is one thing I am displeased with(or rather lack of information regarding that) plus they stood on the stage and told us we would get the device, guaranteed, then they said they had something else in store for us. A suprise. Still nothing. So de couldn’t even give their most loyal backers a free licence. We had to buy it with our refund money. Disgusting.
secondly the rediculas amount for using their OS. You have to buy it for every single device + you have to buy new devices. And the last one is that it’s an russian company now( but let’s not expand in to that)

That said I have a few devices with sailfish and there are plent of issues that won’t be fixed for years it seems.

I do like jolla for what they tried to do and keep trying but to me, they lost track of some important things along the way. I also appreciate the great deal of long term updates they provide for their OS. Most of my distrust in jolla is related to how they handle their customers and community. Not technical issues.

Don’t really care what jolla are doing today.
That said I might buy something to help jolla in the future becouse everyone can improve. But they have to help the community and supporters and not they other way around mainly.

Last edited by Dave999; 2019-03-02 at 09:20.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
... You have to buy it for every single device. ...
Dave, how do you expect companies to get money to pay their costs? From advertisements ?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Heik View Post
Dave, how do you expect companies to get money to pay their costs? From advertisements ?
That is a fair point. you have to put it in the perspective that we just bought every thing they release to help them and they couldn’t even give away a licence for free or even discount to community.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
How likely is the price to go down in the coming two years? I'd be willing to wait for that. (and hardware prices usually peak just after the release)

650 EUR is a lot in Poland, where the average net pay is ~820 EUR. [the average pay is usually a good indicator of a price level in a country]

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
How likely is the price to go down in the coming two years? I'd be willing to wait for that. (and hardware prices usually peak just after the release)

650 EUR is a lot in Poland, where the average net pay is ~820 EUR. [the average pay is usually a good indicator of a price level in a country]
It really hard to tell. But I wouldn't expect a price drop. Main reason for that is basically if you have large quantities in stock that you need to get rid of or you want to get market shares.

I doubt we will see any of that unless chen going full crazy and manufacture 100k devices.

That said we might see some campaigns along the way but I would be surprised if we see a regular big price drop within two years.

But this s just me guessing look at jPhone1 lifecycle as a simular example.

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
lets hope that we will have a new device in two years time rather then worry how much the price of this one will drop.
650€ is a lot of money but considering what this phone is how it came to be it, it's actually priced way more reasonable than any big brand name flagship out there.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
lets hope that we will have a new device in two years time rather then worry how much the price of this one will drop.
650€ is a lot of money but considering what this phone is how it came to be it, it's actually priced way more reasonable than any big brand name flagship out there.
Bold statment given that we know verify little about the the production ready device. I would’t sign that bill since there are quite potent top of the line devices for 650.

But given the tiny quantity and man hours behind the price seems pretty fair to me. But what I have no clue of how it will work. But of course we do always have to consider the smallness of vendor. I would be carful comparing with flagship of the world.

Price for usability is pricless.

Last edited by Dave999; 2019-03-02 at 11:22.

Ordered. #7144

Finally I ordered after a long time of thinking. My concern is the size of the device. I even build a paper model :-)

When I decided to replace my beloved N900 with a Jolla, I had the same concerns. Nowadays the Jolla is tiny compared to all the other devices, but it still feels huge when walking around. The size of the Pro1 will certainly take some time to get used to, but it will happen - eventually.

Having a device with a hardware keyboard will additionally increase the size of the display, as it isn't necessary to display a virtual keyboard any longer.

What I really, really, really wish for are three things:
1) The project has to succeed. I want that thing. Really hard!
2) It must run Sailfish
3) Almost the most important one (please don't laugh): I want it to have a colour like Jolla Lime: http://jollasuomi.fi/wp-content/uplo...me-420x469.jpg

This is such a ridiculous colour! Every time I look at the lime phone, I have to smile :-)
Buying this stupid plastic peace for 30€ was one of the best investments I ever made, because of this. I would be willing to pay even more for the Pro1, if it wouldn't be painted in the usual and boring black/grey/mainstream sh*t.

@Jolla: You reading this? If that's the case, please find some resources to support this device as you did with Planet Computers and their Gemini PDA. And thank you for the lime TOH!

@Chen: Thumbs up for your courageous endever! Thank you! And make it lime! (ignore the possibility to eventually loose all the previous 7143 orders ;-)

@wicket, HtheB and all the other wizards, trying to port Sailfish to it: Thank you so much!

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ibins For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit