Active Topics

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Amsterdam
Is there a way to receive events from the hardware keyboard when it opens and closes?

Thanks for your answer!

yes, use the search to see how.

Originally Posted by rambo View Post
yes, use the search to see how.
Well rambo, if half the people here are like you and give me answers like that to all of my questions then I might as well stop trying to contribute to the community.

And it's not like I haven't searched. I wouldn't have asked if I could find it. I used the keyword "keyboard", "hardware keyboard", but I couldn't find anything useful in the results. I might have overlooked it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention I'm trying to do this in C++ with QtCreator.

Last edited by Willem Liu; 2010-09-13 at 10:57.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Hmm, lockdaemon's source code will help, keyboard slides are GPIO events.

The Following User Says Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Hmm, lockdaemon's source code will help, keyboard slides are GPIO events.
Thank you, MohammadAG. I'll look into that one.

Originally Posted by Willem Liu View Post
Well rambo, if half the people here are like you and give me answers like that to all of my questions then I might as well stop trying to contribute to the community.

And it's not like I haven't searched. I wouldn't have asked if I could find it. I used the keyword "keyboard", "hardware keyboard", but I couldn't find anything useful in the results. I might have overlooked it.
Didn't really mean it to "sound" hostile, merely was in a hurry (and typing on the N900 itself) and didn't remember where the relevant documentation pages are.

Also the framing of the question could be better: like volunteering the "C++ with QtCreator" info from the start, also it would have helped to tell which search terms you used (and did you search the forum, or the API docs or general internet).

Sadly you're in the minority; the forum seems overrun with people who start new threads basically just demanding to be spoon-fed information they should be able to find with a quick search.

And to nitpick: you asked if it was possible, I answered the question.

Try this

Code:
cat /sys/devices/platform/gpio-switch/slide/state

The Following User Says Thank You to giannoug For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rambo View Post
Didn't really mean it to "sound" hostile, merely was in a hurry (and typing on the N900 itself) and didn't remember where the relevant documentation pages are.

Also the framing of the question could be better: like volunteering the "C++ with QtCreator" info from the start, also it would have helped to tell which search terms you used (and did you search the forum, or the API docs or general internet).

Sadly you're in the minority; the forum seems overrun with people who start new threads basically just demanding to be spoon-fed information they should be able to find with a quick search.

And to nitpick: you asked if it was possible, I answered the question.
Well most questions are phrased like: "could someone tell me...", "Does anybody know how to...".
If we were all to answer those literally then there would only be Yes/No answers to all of them.

Anyway I did forget to add some initial and crucial information like what language/sdk I'm programming in/using. For that I'm sorry.
I've searched both uncle Google and the maemo.org forums with the keywords. And after a bit more searching it seems the answer might be more complicated than I initially thought it would be.

Originally Posted by giannoug View Post
Try this

Code:
Thanks!

I'll look into that one.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by giannoug View Post
Try this

Code:
That's not exactly an event though is it, it requires you to poll the file instead of listening to the keyboard slides.

The Following User Says Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post: