Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
Hi,

I'm starting this thread to document my problems with connecting to my home router. I've no solution as of now (May 23, 07), but i'll update this thread as i go along. Do contribute if you've any ideas, potential solutions.

P.S. Exchanging the unit is out of the question, although i know it worked for Rab, since to ship this back for an exchange, i would have to pay around USD30. I live in Singapore just so if you are curious.

Problem:

Connection establishes fine with router (WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware).
But there is only outgoing data, but no incoming data.
Attempting to connect to website results in "Network Problem - [URL of website i'm trying to connect to]" error.

Some possibly related information:

About a year ago, i encountered a similar (probably same) error with my sister's laptop, whereby i could get it to establish a connection but i cannot access any website.

However, i managed to fix this by changing the "Basic Rate" settings in my router to "1-2mbps" from the default setting, "auto".

Apparently, the wireless network card is too archaic and requires the speed turned down.

Solutions attempted, with no success, so far
1. Trying all sorts of combination with my "Basic Rate" and "Transmission Rate"
2. Changing to 128 bit wep key, from my previous 64 bit wep key.
3. Turning off mac filtering, just in case.
4. Changing from mixed-mode to g-mode to b-mode.

Workaround Found
Note: While these workaround works, the compromises are not worth it.
1. Turning off WEP entirely. Connection works flawlessly. As per my sister's laptop, this workaround also applied to that case. However, this leaves my router with only one layer of protection, mac address filtering, so this is not really acceptable. Mac address spoofing is too easy for crackers.

Last update: 23 May, 2007

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Have you tried WPA security? My WRT54GS (v2) with Sveasoft firmware (Talisman 1.2RC3) works flawlessly with my N800 (3.2007.10-7) in b/g mode.