I have re-flashed the new operating system twice in order to get rid of this problem, to no avail. On my first flashing of the new software, when I would enter the Select Connection window, occasionally I would get a "No connections available" message, which was of course something of a nuisance. Usually, however, my own in-house router connection would show up -- along with two or three of my neighbors' routers! But as this problem became progressively more annoying, I decided to re-flash and start from scratch. On the second re-flashing, and restoring my data base, my wi-fi connection appeared, seemingly automatically, and I was able to download and install applications. But when one of my applications necessitated re-booting, I could no longer access the outside world through wi-fi at all (not just occasionally, as previously).

Now, I know the problem is not my router because -- I can also boot through both of my mmc cards (which have the penultimate operating system installed). And when I alternatively thus boot through mmc, I can easily gain a wi-fi connection, as formerly. So, my guess is that the new operating system underlies the cause of my problem. But what to do is another matter. Any advice or thoughts would be welcomed.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Bug #1636 by any chance?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
FYI, Mil, a guy at work was happily using his N800 at home-- until he switched to a new Dlink router. Guess what? Bug 1636, apparently. Which apparently doesn't affect my Netgear.

My Linksys WRT54GS is a trooper too, and dirt cheap if you can still find them (I think the Linux versions are called WRT54GL nowadays). I had a D-Link many moons ago, kind of OK but firmware updates were patchy. Netgear have a good reputation at Milhouse Mansions too.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The WRT54GC is one I had trouble with. Constantly having to reboot that thing...

54GL - that's the puppy... with after market firmware. Sweeet. Mind you the after market firmware such as Open WRT and DD-WRT now support a wide range of routers, not just Linksys. My next device will probably be a Linksys N-device, but I'll wait until the 11n-protocol is fully ratified - my 11g works just fine for the time being.