My N800 OS'07 File Manager recently won't let me internally transfer 300-500mb movie files from the 2gb card to the 8gb card and gives me the "Not enough memory" message. It seemed to be working before.

There's about 4gb left on the 8gb card, so memory ISN'T the problem. . (I have Virtual Memory turned on in the internal 8gb - but only 128mb). And it will accept much smaller files from the 2gb or the internal ram

I normally use the 2gb as the external card to pop out and grab files from my PC using a USB adapter. I can also write on the 8gb this way - so I don't think the cards are corrupted. I also tried switching them around in the N800, with the same results.

Any fixes or suggestions?

(I apologize if this has been covered before - I just didn't know how exactly to phrase the search terms for it).

Last edited by lad; 2008-01-09 at 16:34.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
My theory when this sort of thing has happened to me is that more memory is needed -- what we used to call "conventional memory" in the DOS days. In this case it would indicate you were short of memory on the non-mmc areas. Just my personal theory...

So, I have to clear more out from the internal RAM, to make way for more throughput between the cards?

That is my theory. Remember, a) it's just a theory, and b) I have no idea whether you are short of that kind of memory.

Last edited by geneven; 2008-01-09 at 18:10.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Originally Posted by lad View Post
My N800 OS'07 File Manager recently won't let me internally transfer 300-500mb movie files from the 2gb card to the 8gb card and gives me the "Not enough memory" message. It seemed to be working before.

There's about 4gb left on the 8gb card, so memory ISN'T the problem. . (I have Virtual Memory turned on in the internal 8gb - but only 128mb). And it will accept much smaller files from the 2gb or the internal ram

I normally use the 2gb as the external card to pop out and grab files from my PC using a USB adapter. I can also write on the 8gb this way - so I don't think the cards are corrupted. I also tried switching them around in the N800, with the same results.

Any fixes or suggestions?

(I apologize if this has been covered before - I just didn't know how exactly to phrase the search terms for it).
Maemo has its own weird way to tell you things. The only time I have received that message in the middle of a file transfer was when my battery was low of charge, but it tell me the memory bla bla.
Please try to do the same operation with a good charge on battery.
I'm saying that Maemo has that particular way to inform because in other aspects, when I move files or copy files, sometimes tell me that the operation failed when actually does the operation fine. Weird.

Last edited by akd; 2008-01-09 at 23:34.

This is funny, I tried everything above and couldn't manage to work it.

Then, just now, another file transferred over. I realized that I earlier deleted a big movie file previously on the 8gb card.

When the new movie transferred successfully onto the 8gb card, it wouldn't accept another.

Each time I see that the card STOPs accepting files when it is half (4gbs) full. I deleted another large movie from it, and, sure enough, I was able to transfer one more movie over from the 4gb card onto it.

Funny thing is that File Manager says the 8gb card now has 5.34 GB in use, with 4.13 gb to spare. Maybe something got messed up?

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
My theory when this sort of thing has happened to me is that more memory is needed -- what we used to call "conventional memory" in the DOS days. In this case it would indicate you were short of memory on the non-mmc areas. Just my personal theory...
If you simply mean "RAM", then yeah that's a possibility (though the battery charge issue mentioned is also valid). The tablets only have 128MB of memory; the File Manager's copy mechanism may not be particularly good, which would be consistent with the rest of it.

If by "conventional memory" you mean old x86 real mode, below-640K barrier RAM, the ARM architecture doesn't use such twisted memory schemes.

I know there is no longer conventional memory, but the problem here seems strikingly analogous. You think that memory stuff was pretty twisted, but I think that it's also pretty twisted to have many gigs of memory and still have problems because most of the memory is on mmc cards -- like where the memory is should have anything to do with anything.