Active Topics

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C
Hello everyone, I am a newguy here. looking forward to getting my N900 in my hand!
first of all, forgive my poor english

1. Almost exclusively landscape orientation. Lack of portrait mode
actually, I would like N900 fix on landscape mode. because it's a internet tablet(or small computer) "plus phone function". When you use your laptop, will you turn your computer vertically? When you use cell phone, speak to your friend, you won't look at the screen, right? besides, when I lie down on my bed and use ipod touch to survey the internet, ipod always screw the screen when I accidentally tilt it. that's makes me hard to read it. So, personally, I would like the N900 fix on landscape. and I don't have to screw my device when switch between one application to another

2. Password entry while browsing
it's the same when you use your computer. so it won't be my problem.

3. Small icons with big “Close” fields in ‘Desktop setup” mode.
agree

4. Not enough desktop panels, or space on them.
agree, more would be better.

5. Maps and Navigation.
no comment

6. Which brings us the problem of general lack of apps for the device.
Agree, I also hope we can have all the cool apps I played with on Symbian, Android, Windows Mobile and iPhone, running on Maemo. Tomorrow, please!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deapblue For This Useful Post:
2. Password entry while browsing. It’s a small thing, but pretty annoying.

Usually, on a mobile device, when you press a key entering hidden symbols for a password field, the actual symbol pops up for a short while, and then is replaced with a star.
Did anyone else read this and say "My God, It's full of stars!"?

Originally Posted by lefteyecc View Post
True true but when using the device as a smartphone I would say I must agree with him...in terms of usability.

One other thing I agree with is the portrait mode...however int he end I still KNOW that he doesn't have the final release software or the final release hardware. But it is still interesting to know all of this or the device we are all obsessing over, not that that's a bad thing obsession is good.
Yeah, I can't figure out why they didn't use the same, and much better, screen that the iPhone have. I bet they will on the next version though.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Yeah, I can't figure out why they didn't use the same, and much better, screen that the iPhone have. I bet they will on the next version though.
Hey man, I'm gonna offer you this flame ******ant suit.. or these faux-<sarcasm> tags.

Take your pick..
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Hey man, I'm gonna offer you this flame ******ant suit.. or these faux-<sarcasm> tags.

Take your pick..
lol, yeah i'm a member of a nikon forum as well and it's funny how the very die-hard fanbois will defend the manufacturer even when there are obvious flaws in a product

it's a nice looking phone though. screen's a bit too small and i am not into using a stylus running down the street juggling sms/vmails and calls. got my crackberry for that.

i wonder if the n810 is the last tablet they will make or if it's all smartphones from now on. the n810 is far from perfect (horrible keyboard for once) but its such a fun device that i really like it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tintin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
it's a nice looking phone though. screen's a bit too small and i am not into using a stylus running down the street juggling sms/vmails and calls. got my crackberry for that.
Who says you need to use a stylus?

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
About the screen lock and lack of clock/status summary (received messages, missed calls etc), I kind of agree. But my first thought was this: how hard would it be to make a "screensaver" application which displayed all the stuff you wanted and had a lock function built in?

I.e. The application is launched when the device wants to dim the screen. When you tap the screen an "unlock screen" appears instead, having you enter a code or a gesture.

I'm not sure about the security level of something like this but with a bit of imagination and thought I'm sure something like that wouldn't be too hard to put together..? Fwiw there was already some talk about a gesture-based unlock application in some thread a while back.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by r0eladn View Post
no clock on stand-by screen -1
Just checked it. The clock is there.

unlocking button on the wrong place -1
Hmm, I don't have a problem with that. I mostly use it for locking and usually unlock with power button & swipe.

won't maps.google.com work in internet browser?
Yes it does. You may have to activate the mouse hover mode, though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
lol, yeah i'm a member of a nikon forum as well and it's funny how the very die-hard fanbois will defend the manufacturer even when there are obvious flaws in a product
Nothing to do with fanboyism. Both options have their pluses and minuses, but engadget & co are trying to brainwash everyone into seeing only the good sides of capacitive and only bad sides of resistive.

Resistive is much more comfortable to use if you like using your nails instead of your whole finger. The nail is more accurate, doesn't obscure the item, and on many phones you can rest your finger on the screen without triggering an action. On capacitive you have to keep your finger in the air.

Additionally, resistive offers much better accuracy for using the stylus. They're also trying to brainwash people into believing you should never have to use something so antique, but in reality there are many things that require such precision, such as spreadsheets, any more complex game, and running desktop apps either on the phone or another X11 client.

Rest assured, the base UI won't require you to use the stylus, but the OS will also give you so much more than the iPhone ever could.

And this is probably the most civilized reply to your statements you can expect to read.

Last edited by livefreeordie; 2009-10-15 at 18:17.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 18 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago-far NW side
There were ads on his site? Nothing a hosts file can't block.