Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
I would personally say "clear" and make the preference save on exit. It keeps Preferences saving on exit which is inline with the other pasta shaped applications.
Others my have a different opinion.
On exit, the preferences are saved to the config file. However they are available to the rest of the application immediately, even while the Preferences window is open. So for example, if "record phone calls" is enabled and a phone call comes in while you are in the middle of editing the preferences, it will use the current, potentially half-finished configuration. Which is the main reason I opted for the "update format string" button, to give it a definite single step when the string becomes valid.

I will see what can be done about applying the preferences on closing the window. It should not be too difficult.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Copernicus, pichlo, any chance of porting this to Jolla/Sailfish? There isn't even Recorder on the Jolla yet...

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by stefanmohl View Post
Copernicus, pichlo, any chance of porting this to Jolla/Sailfish? There isn't even Recorder on the Jolla yet...
Hmm. I was thinking about doing something like this last year, as a way for me to learn how to code Sailfish apps. Right now, though, my biggest problem is that I don't have the financial wherewithal to justify buying a Jolla phone. (Plus, I live in the US, so it's even harder to get one...)

I do have the Sailfish SDK though. Let me see if it'd be feasible to throw something together...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I will see what can be done about applying the preferences on closing the window. It should not be too difficult.
Actually, it might be easier to create an entirely separate "editing dialog box". Have the preferences panel just display the current format string, along with a single "edit" button (or even make the displayed string clickable); pop up the editor dialog box when the user wants to make a change, and only save the change when the user is finished (or just ignore the change completely if he cancels the edit)...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Actually, it might be easier to create an entirely separate "editing dialog box".
Actually, that's how I started coding it but then decided to have it all in one window

I think a separate window would make sense. It could do the validation as well as have a "cancel" button to close without saving if you muddle up. Then you can just press "edit" in the main Preferences window to do it again, with the original string. That sounds more intuitive than a "restore" button.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I think a separate window would make sense. It could do the validation as well as have a "cancel" button to close without saving if you muddle up.
BTW, I should note that the Maemo designers chose to make pressing the blurred area above a modal dialog box work as if the user pressed a virtual "cancel" button, so you don't need to create an actual cancel button if you don't want to.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
BTW, I should note that the Maemo designers chose to make pressing the blurred area above a modal dialog box work as if the user pressed a virtual "cancel" button, so you don't need to create an actual cancel button if you don't want to.
Agreed, applications that save settings on exiting by clicking on blurred area confuse a hell out of me. From memory, there are many other people that feels this way, too. I think one button for saving and rude exit for cancel is most intuitive.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Agreed, applications that save settings on exiting by clicking on blurred area confuse a hell out of me. From memory, there are many other people that feels this way, too. I think one button for saving and rude exit for cancel is most intuitive.
This is true for dialog boxes and I agree.

I was referring previously to pressing back on a window and the application forgetting your settings which is equally annoying.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Yes, I know

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Hello!!
Is it possible to register the phone number when finished recording?

Tags
nokia n900, pasta, recording