Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I at least am kind-of-polydrug-user, of the worst kind.

On my non-mobile platforms I use almost daily at least Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, Ubuntu and on top of those 2 different strains of inhouse Linux, the first one a traditional LFS variant and the other a Koji-built own variant.

Now when I think about it, Arch is maybe the only major distro that I have not used.
Why?
Do you test distros for a living?

I for one, am done with Arch based distros, as I’m fed up with updates constantly breaking stuff.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by NX500 View Post
Which distro are you using nowadays? Arch? Gentoo? G‘ol Debian?
At work, I use Windows 7 like most of the rest of the world. Win 7 isn't half bad, to be fair. There are things for which I do need some kind of a Linux environment and for those I generally use Cygwin or, increasingly, Debian with LXDE in a VM.

At home, I hardly ever get to use a big computer. So my choice of an OS oscillates between Maemo (99%) and Sailfish (1%). On the rare occasions that I do get the chance to fire up my laptop, I use Windows 8 it came with. I hate it to bits but I use it too rarely to justify doing something about it. I only use it when I absolutely have to, like to book a holiday (those websites are too heavy for the poor N900).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I for one, am done with Arch based distros, as I’m fed up with updates constantly breaking stuff.
Arch does not have a monopoly for breaking stuff on updates. When I was still using Ubuntu, back in 2009 or 2010, my laptop would no longer boot after one update. After a bit of panic and some googling, it turned out that they "optimised" it for newer PCs by turning on some kernel option. There was a solution but the point is, they broke it for me. But the last straw was when an update broke my favourite DVD authoring prog (DVD Styler, IIRC) and IDE (Anjuta). My impression is that these people just do whatever "works for them", with no care whatsoever for anyone else.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Why?
Do you test distros for a living?

Well, you are actually correct there

My current job is building and testing linux distributions. (that's the 2 inhouse distributions I mentioned...)
As for the other ones; Debian was my first love and I still have few running Debian machines. Ubuntu and Fedora are widely used in the company so I also have machines I run them on. Gentoo was a kind-of sideline I installed some years back on a desktop that I still use daily, just as I wanted to learn how it is different from prepackaged distros.

If we go down the dark history, my first distribution was Slackware way way back in the dark ages, and my late father-in-law used to run SuSe for at least ten years...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by deutch1976 View Post
Not even this is good for us?
https://mspoweruser.com/debian-linux...crosoft-store/
Again. It may not be of any use to folks that will never use Win10 at home - it's not half bad to be honest, just makes a butt load of calls back to Microsoft (aka spying on the user) - but it shows some form of commitment to something beyond what MS has done in the past.

To me, it's still a good thing. Microsoft just basically lowered the entry point for those folks who were curious but couldn't be arsed to create a separate machine or set up a VM.

But... it still means that you're a current Win10 user. That's the disconnect for the folks here for the most part.

Note: I use Mac at home, Win10/Mac/Linux at work with company supplied iPad and iPhone as a creative and I am no longer a part of IT admin or programming.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Poland
My current job is building and testing linux distributions. (that's the 2 inhouse distributions I mentioned...
What's kinds of job is it?

I work as IT(servers/network/winworkstations) administrator and it's pretty boring for me. Such job would be a dream for me.

I was pretty experienced linux user(started with Mandrake 8, but later there were Gentoo[I was scared of Debian, considered for exp. users ;-], Debian, AuroraLinux, Fedora, Slackware, Ubuntu, Suse until I found PLD Linux, which was second(after Gentoo) I falled in love and become devloper for few years.
But after many years(PLD was 2nd biggest RPM-based distro, and 3rd general in those time), userbase(nearly equal to developers base) was shrinking over time, and there were few dev-wars(we hadn't strong leadership, all was kind of mix of republic and anarchy). In that time PLD also migrated to git(from cvs), systemd and RPM5(now I know it was stupid decision), so nearly every second update distro become unbootable(we lacked manpower to fix all for systemd) and all old compiled packages(with rpm4, which all other[Fedora, SUSE, RHEL] still uses [except Mandriva]) become incompatible with new/current PLD system. And our wonderfull Poldek (best package manager interface, I;ve ever used[like bash, there's dirs like [installed], [testing], etc, and you navifate trough 'cd', 'ls') had many problems with RPM5, and after second database corruption (in which case full system reinstall was needed[you cannot delete database like with RPMv4, and recreate it from headers), I was off and switched to fedora temporarily). Recently I installed Archlinux in chroot and switched to it, but I'm not fully happy with Arch(it got packaged fresh plasma, etc, but there's not much of old/classic games/apps in repos. Base repos are small, while 3rd party are slow and unreliable(in PLD they were at least hosted in PLD infrastructure). And all GPG signing problems. I don't like pacman at all [both command syntax and how it works. Powerpill, etc are only ugly workarounds(Fedora's DNF is way better, faster and more modern)
So with Arch I got much more fresh software than I could get with Fedora, and with unstable repos it's much more stable than Rawhide. But I'm still thinking about going back to PLD.
The fun thing for me is that, after upgrading fedora from f25 to f27, system stopped booting normally(boots only in emergency mode, after ctrl+d pressed). I was thinking it's fedora specific bug and started preparing Arch in chroot, and after twoo weeks when booted it, I got identical error in Arch(so now I know it's SystemD upstream bug). And the only technology involved is systemd (Arch uses mkinitcpio, while Fedora dracut).
The problem is I'm using BTRFS with subvolumes(insted of partitions) over LUKS, and systemd thinks that /dev/mapper/butter, which luks device with (rootpartition '/') isn't ready and all dependencies fails for other services(while it's already mounted and boots correctly after ctrl+d). It was much more easier in rc-scripts time, than nowwith systemd, udev, dbus and all that magic underhood ;-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badpixel For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by badpixel View Post
What's kinds of job is it?

I work as IT(servers/network/winworkstations) administrator and it's pretty boring for me. Such job would be a dream for me.

I was pretty experienced linux user(started with Mandrake 8, but later there were Gentoo[I was scared of Debian, considered for exp. users ;-], Debian, AuroraLinux, Fedora, Slackware, Ubuntu, Suse until I found PLD Linux, which was second(after Gentoo) I falled in love and become devloper for few years.
But after many years(PLD was 2nd biggest RPM-based distro, and 3rd general in those time), userbase(nearly equal to developers base) was shrinking over time, and there were few dev-wars(we hadn't strong leadership, all was kind of mix of republic and anarchy). In that time PLD also migrated to git(from cvs), systemd and RPM5(now I know it was stupid decision), so nearly every second update distro become unbootable(we lacked manpower to fix all for systemd) and all old compiled packages(with rpm4, which all other[Fedora, SUSE, RHEL] still uses [except Mandriva]) become incompatible with new/current PLD system. And our wonderfull Poldek (best package manager interface, I;ve ever used[like bash, there's dirs like [installed], [testing], etc, and you navifate trough 'cd', 'ls') had many problems with RPM5, and after second database corruption (in which case full system reinstall was needed[you cannot delete database like with RPMv4, and recreate it from headers), I was off and switched to fedora temporarily). Recently I installed Archlinux in chroot and switched to it, but I'm not fully happy with Arch(it got packaged fresh plasma, etc, but there's not much of old/classic games/apps in repos. Base repos are small, while 3rd party are slow and unreliable(in PLD they were at least hosted in PLD infrastructure). And all GPG signing problems. I don't like pacman at all [both command syntax and how it works. Powerpill, etc are only ugly workarounds(Fedora's DNF is way better, faster and more modern)
So with Arch I got much more fresh software than I could get with Fedora, and with unstable repos it's much more stable than Rawhide. But I'm still thinking about going back to PLD.
The fun thing for me is that, after upgrading fedora from f25 to f27, system stopped booting normally(boots only in emergency mode, after ctrl+d pressed). I was thinking it's fedora specific bug and started preparing Arch in chroot, and after twoo weeks when booted it, I got identical error in Arch(so now I know it's SystemD upstream bug). And the only technology involved is systemd (Arch uses mkinitcpio, while Fedora dracut).
The problem is I'm using BTRFS with subvolumes(insted of partitions) over LUKS, and systemd thinks that /dev/mapper/butter, which luks device with (rootpartition '/') isn't ready and all dependencies fails for other services(while it's already mounted and boots correctly after ctrl+d). It was much more easier in rc-scripts time, than nowwith systemd, udev, dbus and all that magic underhood ;-)
Well I do like my job, its pretty varying depending on whether there is nothing special going on and times when all sorts of emergencies jump up around you

My team maintains the base platform for application developers who then build the stuff used in various embedded devices and cloud services on top of it; the division of work is very clear, all that we do is 100% foss, (gpl, apache, bsd and so on licensed) and the stuff that other folks build is 100% proprietary-company-internally-developed stuff.

We try to keep the platform as bleeding edge as possible, releases averaging every 2 weeks. (updates, bugfixes, patches to existing components, new features when application or system developers request them)

I do share your worry about systemd; it is a component I need to work very closely with and indeed even the stable branches are pretty volatile; just few weeks back i updated it to v237 and this week v238 is out and we start evaluating that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Poland
We try to keep the platform as bleeding edge as possible, releases averaging every 2 weeks
It's what I usually liked to do with my daily machines, so if your team would ever need more workers, then please contact me.
BTW, where is your work located? Is it remote or local in office?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badpixel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by deutch1976 View Post
Not even this is good for us?
https://mspoweruser.com/debian-linux...crosoft-store/
Does your phone run Window$ 10?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post: