Active Topics

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Ok, so this posting is over the top but has anyone visited yahoo lately with a 770?

We need a better browser...

Brad.

Well, the current browser is perfect. Honestly, it's great. But what i can see what you are complaining about is the flash that yahoo has on their website. The 770 only has flash version 6, which is pretty outdated for todays standards. many websites use flash 7 or 8, which will run slow, or won't run at all. One thing to help the performance of these flash-content heavy sites, would be to extend virtual memory to your RS-MMC card, the bigger the better. Hope this helps

What I'd like to know is how is yahoo mail with this?

Have you gone there with a browser that it is happy with?

I actually prefer the text-only rendering on the 770.

I wish I could force all my machines to render it that way...

For total desktop control of how it looks go to www.opera.com and grab Opera 9.

You can switch between default rendering and user-selected rendering with shift-g. If you want all pages to be lime green with purple text, that's perfectly doable...

Then add Privoxy from www.privoxy.org and you can surf ad-free too.

That said, it would be incredible if Nokia would do an OS upgrade with Opera 9 and a fresher Flash in it. Opera 9 is incredible.

About half the things I want to look at in my little leisure time (mainly what I use the 770 for) these days are either Flash stuff that it can't handle (you tube, google videos, games, etc.) or Ajax heavy stuff like Gmail which the 770 browser also doesn't like much. Due to this I'm finding myself using the 770 less and going back to sitting at my PC... sigh.

Oh and the lack of tabbed browsing (does anyone still like to have multiple open windows) and the inability to use the browser while you're downloading things aren't helping either.

Please Nokia or some of you smart developer types, make Firefox for the 770 in a version I don't have to be a Linux person to install and use..

Originally Posted by buckwurst
About half the things I want to look at in my little leisure time (mainly what I use the 770 for) these days are either Flash stuff that it can't handle (you tube, google videos, games, etc.) or Ajax heavy stuff like Gmail which the 770 browser also doesn't like much. Due to this I'm finding myself using the 770 less and going back to sitting at my PC... sigh.

Oh and the lack of tabbed browsing (does anyone still like to have multiple open windows) and the inability to use the browser while you're downloading things aren't helping either.

Please Nokia or some of you smart developer types, make Firefox for the 770 in a version I don't have to be a Linux person to install and use..

there's not much that can be done yet re: a newer version of flash.. but, for more ajax-able and tabs, check out minimo.

Originally Posted by buckwurst
You can use browser while you are downloading files. Just click close and downloading happens backround. You can see ongoing downloads selecting downloads from browsers tools menu.

Well, I tried out Yahoo! Mail beta on my Mac and liked the look of it. I might want to switch back to the pay version of Yahoo! as my main email service. HOWEVER it has to be readable on my 770. So, I tried to connect to it but first Yahoo tells me my browser isn't officially supported, then when I say I want to use Yahoo Mail Beta anyway, I just get a continuously popping-up window telling me to make sure my browser's encoding is set to UTF-8.

Anyone had any luck with this?