Originally Posted by epninety View Post
Build quality seems great, keyboard is more 'roomy' than I expected, certainly more suited to two thumbs than ten fingers, but I like it.
Give it some time and practice, I have seen complaints by so many people that just received it, but you should be able to touchtype pretty fast on it after a bit of practice. At least a lot faster than thumbtyping.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
How does it compare in build quality to other devices that you own and praise for their workmanship?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Especially close up shot of the hinges would be interesting to me!
Do they feel solid built?
Hard to show much of the hinges as there's not much to see.
It feels solid, you can open/shut the screen by one corner without feeling you are twisting the chassis.

Having a usb port directly under the power key seems 'odd' somehow, like there shouldn't really be enough space there for it there

Modified the PSU in a thoroughly un-H&S way, and installed Mint lxde from the usb image I prepped yesterday. Install was quick and effortless, almost everything seems to work out of the box... only a couple of small tweaks required :-

1) lockscreen always comes up rotated 90. There must be some way to override that, but it's not really an issue.

2) Need to tweak the UI to get larger fonts and scrollbars - haven't had chance to look around much - I'm supposed to be working

3) I sit with a window behind me - the screen is way too shiny for this situation. A matte screen protector might be a good idea here.

Oh, and no sound out yet, though it thinks it working so probably wrongly configured. Suspect its the same issue with sound on my work Dell 5404 laptop - it does work when set up, but I haven't managed to make the config survive reboot. Never spent any time on it, I rarely need sound.
Attached Images

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Oh, and no sound out yet, though it thinks it working so probably wrongly configured.
Curious about the sound crackling issue that has been reported. Especially if it is very annoying and makes watching video unpleasant.
Still haven't installed a Linux distro on mine, but planning to once I have seen some more positive reports.

BTW. Did you use https://www.reddit.com/r/GPDPocket/c...xubuntu_images ?

Last edited by t-b; 2017-08-29 at 15:18.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
I used the scripts at https://github.com/cawilliamson/ansible-gpdpocket just in time for them to become out of date!

edit : Just re-installed using Mint Cinnamon from the link t-b sent. Install just as painless as before, sound works without needing me to fettle it, and the password prompt rotation is correct. Under System Settings->Preferences->General set the desktop scaling to 'Double (Hi-DPI)' and the desktop settings are near perfect.

Last edited by epninety; 2017-08-29 at 21:21. Reason: Added info

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
Curious about the sound crackling issue that has been reported. Especially if it is very annoying and makes watching video unpleasant.
Crackling audio is definitely an issue, based on trying a couple of videos last night, and also the audio from my SDR receiver via its web interface.

I haven't noticed it on the built in system sounds, so not sure where it might arise from.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Try the headphone jack with either headphones or external speakers and see if the audio crackle thus disappears .

the onboard speakers may be the issue here...
If so..that is well...bearable...
and circumnavigate-able ....

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Crackling audio is definitely an issue, based on trying a couple of videos last night, and also the audio from my SDR receiver via its web interface.

I haven't noticed it on the built in system sounds, so not sure where it might arise from.
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196351

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
How does it compare in build quality to other devices that you own and praise for their workmanship?
Sorry, I missed relying to this one yesterday, so now replying from the GPDPocket.

The metal case feels very solid, with no 'give' and no squeeks or groans. The lid shuts firmly with spring pressure, and is very close and parallel to the keyboard. Material finish is excellent, though I would have liked a black option.

The screen is bright and evenly illuminated. Minimum brightness available is higher than I would like (too high for night time in-car use for example). I could measure screen brightness if anyone wants real figures. Contrast and colour range seems ok./ It may be much better than 'ok' but it's not the sort of thing I take much notice of - I have certainly seen worse on low cost tablets.

The keyboard layout takes a little getting used to, like many small devices. The keys seem a little 'tippy' like they might jam if not hit in the centre, but they certainly do not ever stick. The spacebar sections feel soft if hit near the middle, for the same reason, but thats the worst I can say for it. I have a new Dell rugged laptop that cost around 10x the price, and the keyboard on that is certainly not 10x better, maybe 2x on a good day.

Putting a simple metal case on a small device will always tend to make it feel rugged, as it doesn't take much metal to make it very much more rigid, but this feels more like a cf-19 Toughbook than the typical budget laptop. It reminds me of a Fujitsu P7010 I used to own - if you've ever used one of those, I think thats high praise indeed.

(And through typing this and a little surfing, the case has remained only very slightly warm to the touch).

edit: Wifi range is not as good as some, marginally worse than my laptop or JollaC, but the difference is not large. I've not checked BT range but it certainly connected without an issue to the couple of devices I tried (inc the JollaC)

Last edited by epninety; 2017-08-30 at 21:29. Reason: added info

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Hong Kong
GPD Pocket arrived this morning

Haven't had much chance to play yet, but checked out the hardware and everything appears to work as advertised.

Supplied USB-C adapter is cute but useless, as others have complained about on IGG.

Supplied mains charger is not uk or euro, so will be getting modded very shortly, and an amazon order looks likely.

Build quality seems great, keyboard is more 'roomy' than I expected, certainly more suited to two thumbs than ten fingers, but I like it.

Going to mod the charger, then try to put Mint on it with the modded kernels mentioned earlier.

DHL charged me 41 UKP for tax and handling fees.

Happy to answer questions if anyone wants to know anything specific
Hey there, I got mine recently too, (Ubuntu version) It boots up ok but the screen is rotated 90 deg, did yours come like that? I tried adding a line to grub but didn't work. Any ideas?

Ta, J

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rm250j For This Useful Post: