Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I think also a problem are the different timezones.
It took way to long to ban maemoGUY. until his ban he insulted nearly everyone, caused high traffic on the maemo servers and posted too many posts (I haven't counted them)..
therefore we need at least one mod in every timezone, and make sure, that they can be online most of the time.
sure, my last post was really extreme. but in real obvious cases there should be no "mercy"...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Actually it's going from one extreme to another extreme.
Currently this is anarchy ...

If you want anarchy go to 4chan.org
I would like this forum to be on topic.
Exactly, although i started this thread out of anger i dont believe in totalitarian control, i would just like to see some common sence moderation with consequences for people who abuse the forum.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matts76 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by matts76 View Post
i dont believe in totalitarian control, i would just like to see some common sence moderation with consequences for people who abuse the forum.
100% agreed, as I said, my first post was exaggerated to show what changes are needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
as most of these threads are started by people with very few posts it is obvious that they are created to hide the identity of an existing member, is there any way the mods can trace who these people are, as otherwise all a ban would achieve would be to stop someone using their alter ego and they could just create a new one 5 mins later.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matts76 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
what about restricting posting in some forums and users are granted access based upon either recommendation or a certain number of 'Thanks' being attained?

That way the spam is kept out, and depending on how far you want to go with it, it can be entirely automatic.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
Alternatively, you could also keep users from posting (or opening new threads) until a certain time has passed since they registered their account.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevloral For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Actually it's going from one extreme to another extreme.
Currently this is anarchy ...

If you want anarchy go to 4chan.org
I would like this forum to be on topic.
You want the off-topic forum to be on topic?

The Following User Says Thank You to khm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by karmaflux View Post
You want the off-topic forum to be on topic?
the fake thread that we are talking about was actualy posted in N900. if it had been in off topic im sure most of us would have ignored it knoing it would be BS

The Following User Says Thank You to matts76 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
I think also a problem are the different timezones.
It took way to long to ban maemoGUY. until his ban he insulted nearly everyone, caused high traffic on the maemo servers and posted too many posts (I haven't counted them)..
therefore we need at least one mod in every timezone, and make sure, that they can be online most of the time.
sure, my last post was really extreme. but in real obvious cases there should be no "mercy"...
Despite not liking hard lines and really hating to follow rules because they are, I have to say that I agree. There should be more moderators in different timezones (follow the sun). Plus they should be allowed to take action in obvious cases.

In case posts are only made to provocate or disrupt, I do not really see any use for them besides doing harm. Of course a certain level of noise is perfectly OK, but longer term members here can see that this ratio has shifted tremendously over the last months.

I am certainly not calling for 'strict law and order' here. But like you said, we already lost several *really* competent persons around here

Best regards,
Corwin

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If I can help with anything else, just ask! Please click 'Thanks!' if this post was helpful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Corwin For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by matts76 View Post
Exactly, although i started this thread out of anger i dont believe in totalitarian control, i would just like to see some common sence moderation with consequences for people who abuse the forum.
I cannot agree with you more on this one and i feel unless their are some stricter rules set on this somewhat loose forum its going to get a lot lot worse.

Tags
name&shame!, riverside