Originally Posted by danramos View Post
HEADS UP! A couple of brand new malware have been spotted on Android!

One is an old fee-deduction trick that crossed over from the Symbian world (thanks, Symbian):
"Fee-Deduction" Malware Targeting Android Devices Spotted in the Wild

The other is a newer version of the Droid Dream malware that spread around recently, and made by the same fine folks that brought you the last bit of disaster:
30,000 to 120,000 Android Users Affected by New Variant of Droid Dream Malware

I, for one, sincerely hope that malware/virus/etc authors eat **** and die.
First thing I put on my phone was lookout. Keeps me safe from dreaded malware etc
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
The Nintendo announcement of the Wii-U today has got me thinking. It's essentially, a system that uses touch-screen controllers (think tablet with controls) that interface with a system that connects to the TV.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/t...ller-revealed/

This is a very interesting system as it allows for very cool interaction patterns, and some new multi-player styles of play. It basically adds a fully functional screen to the Dreamcast VMU controller of old, giving users private-eye views of the game and other such novelties.

Here's the interesting thing: with Google TV much of this play style could be replicated on Android devices -- albeit with inferior graphics. The basic elements are there, the touch screen devices with camera's and accelerometers, and the TV connected system. Neato.

Now I'm not suggesting that it's as easy as replicating the play-style to compete with Nintendo's latest, it's not. However it's neat to see how mobile devices are slowly advancing on traditional consoles.

The game Words for the iPad (and now for Android as well) introduced the ability to use handsets with a tablet for a new play system -- which is very similar. If developers embrace this concept, we may see many non-traditional titles spring forth.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
At this year's E3, onlive has come out of the closet with their Android and iOS (iPad) clients:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/o...ets-the-public
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czKDyO6ng94

After seeing the upcoming Tomb Raider, this is an awesome announcement. Here's hoping that the service can continue to improve and get great titles!

Also, lets hope that bandwidth continues to improve

The more that I think about Sammy giving some fresh GSII's to key CM7 devs, the more that I think it was a very smart business move.

Consider that CM7 is essentially a port of Android and Android is OSS. Samsung have effectively outsourced development of Android on its own platform for FREE whilst simultaneously winning favour of the community.

That's a pretty slick move.

Considering the speed of CM7 releases, I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung wasn't borrowing from the codebase when moving towards their next release iteration.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I hate you.

...it' s a good hate, though.
Oh the damned irony: the coworker in the cubicle over the wall in the next isle that kept overhearing me talking about Android with my other Android-owning coworkers and thusly eventually went out and replaced his much-hated Blackberry with a Samsung Galaxy S... went out and got himself an Asus eee Transformer today. I hate him too, now. heheh

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
If you had to guess, which would you suppose would take the most damage from a waist-high drop? The iPad2, the Galaxy Tab, or Motorola Xoom.

Find out the results of a non-scientific bit of fun below!

http://androidandme.com/2011/06/vide...oom-or-ipad-2/
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW_swJiebIA

Were you surprised?
Not really, considering I've dropped my Galaxy Tab NUMEROUS times and the worst it ended up with was a few minor nicks around the edges that most people don't even notice unless I point them out. This includes the one time when I literally FLINGED it to the ground by mistake (when I tried to catch it but ended up instead pushing it down even faster... heheh). It's a tough son of a gun.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I forgot to mention this as an FYI follow-up to that malware posting...

What’s the Deal with BatteryGuard?
Basically, DO NOT INSTALL BATTERYGUARD!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
From the "because it was there to be done" file

- Asus Transformer (Android Honeycomb 3.1)
- N64 Mario Kart via n64oid (emulator)
- PS3 game controller via USB cable
- Audio and video output to a 46" LCD over HDMI cable

http://twitpic.com/586ypn

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
From the "because it was there to be done" file

- Asus Transformer (Android Honeycomb 3.1)
- N64 Mario Kart via n64oid (emulator)
- PS3 game controller via USB cable
- Audio and video output to a 46" LCD over HDMI cable

http://twitpic.com/586ypn
I hate you. You hear that, H3llb0und? Hate. heheh

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
The more that I think about Sammy giving some fresh GSII's to key CM7 devs, the more that I think it was a very smart business move.

Consider that CM7 is essentially a port of Android and Android is OSS. Samsung have effectively outsourced development of Android on its own platform for FREE whilst simultaneously winning favour of the community.

That's a pretty slick move.

Considering the speed of CM7 releases, I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung wasn't borrowing from the codebase when moving towards their next release iteration.
totally agree. samsung can mod their in-house devel models with a cyanogenmod, if the samsung developers go "wow, why didn't I think of that" it'll be on the next release and only the cyanogen-team will truly know where it came from. or, samsung doesn't have to touch the cyanogenmod in anyway, yet, like you said, they potentially won some 500,000 odd modders on their side, lead by the cyanogenmod team.

slick move indeed.

wait, so where are the devel-only N9's again

edit: the frowny face does not imply I have any devel skillz, nor that I'm waiting for said device. in fact, the devel community as a whole will be better off if I never get my hands on a devel-only-N9

"The Cake Is A Lie"

Last edited by frostbyte; 2011-06-08 at 14:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frostbyte For This Useful Post:
The Galaxy Tab was reviewed by Engadget (Darren Murph) and lost a point due to less-than-exceptional interoperability with OSX

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/s...ab-10-1-review

Still, 8/10 is a high review, though I question the credibility of the review. It's not even written particularly well.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy