Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
New Google Phone Service Whispers Targeted Ads Directly Into Users' Ears
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Android is still climbing in global presence:

http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...nalyst-reports

It seems that it's at the expense of Symbian (the big loser of late), RIM, and MIcrosoft.

iOS has grown, but not by much, though its still larger than the growth of the market.

The overall market is growing, but these OSs are either stagnant or losing ground. Not good.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Looking for a universal keyboard for your new tablet? Logitech may have a solution for you.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/19/l...the-tablet-acc

I like the size of the keyboard, but it looks a little makeshift, certainly not as elegant as the Eee Pad Transformer keyboard. It's also missing a touch-pad. It also costs an outrageous $70.

I would like to see something similar with an adjustable 'clamp' to hold the tablet upright, as well as a touchpad for navigation. This would make it far more sturdy as I expect the plastic mount will likely break with little stress. I would also like to see them shave $20 off of the price.

Good first attempt, though.

I am sure it has been covered somewhere in this thread but can someone tell me how the heck you connect the Galaxy Tab to a PC in Kies mode (PC is running Windows 7). Trying to update to Gingerbread (yes I know I am weeks late). Also how to connect in media player mode (I hear you may need to transfer music in this mode so as to avoid the problem of transferred playlists suddenly showing as empty after a few hours).

When I connect the Tab to the PC and select kies or media mode absolutely nothing happens.

It looks as if Sony is driving hard to the hoop. First unlocked bootloaders, and now a very early update!

The xperia Arc and Play are both getting Android 2.3.4:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/19/s...-4-update-next

Sony is looking much, much more enticing as a handset manufacturer! I'm quite surprised!

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
I am sure it has been covered somewhere in this thread but can someone tell me how the heck you connect the Galaxy Tab to a PC in Kies mode (PC is running Windows 7). Trying to update to Gingerbread (yes I know I am weeks late). Also how to connect in media player mode (I hear you may need to transfer music in this mode so as to avoid the problem of transferred playlists suddenly showing as empty after a few hours).

When I connect the Tab to the PC and select kies or media mode absolutely nothing happens.
I've never used Kies myself and I can't find any update to my Galaxy Tab (SCH-I800 Verizon model) to do the update yet... we're still waiting, but I seem to recall that you need to reboot the Tab into DOWNLOAD mode (power off the Tab, hold down the VOLUME DOWN key, then hold down POWER to turn it on while still holding VOLUME DOWN... eventually it boots into a firmware download mode). I'm not sure if that helps, but it was a shot in the dark from someone that can't tell you from experience what might be the problem yet.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
It looks as if Sony is driving hard to the hoop. First unlocked bootloaders, and now a very early update!

The xperia Arc and Play are both getting Android 2.3.4:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/19/s...-4-update-next

Sony is looking much, much more enticing as a handset manufacturer! I'm quite surprised!
Wow indeed! I've been down on Sony for lots of reasons, but this... their Android platform... they've been making leaps and bounds in progress to win me back.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
For all the people that like to brag about Maemo's openness and keep talking about Android as if it were so very closed... I present this article...

Modders Make Android Work the Way You Want

Being that I'm experiencing CyanogenMod firsthand myself, I clearly agree with this article and the points they make. I really looooove CM on my Droid and I wish I could replace stock Android on my Samsung Galaxy Tab with CyanogenMod, but I'm waiting until they have a stable release--I think it's worth the wait, honestly. I'm LOOOOVING it on the Nook Color I bought for my mom--which, by the by, she's become very attached to and uses every day. It's funny to watch a non-technical (actually, she HATES tech) person grow so attached to it. heheh

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
For all the people that like to brag about Maemo's openness and keep talking about Android as if it were so very closed... I present this article...

Modders Make Android Work the Way You Want

Being that I'm experiencing CyanogenMod firsthand myself, I clearly agree with this article and the points they make. I really looooove CM on my Droid and I wish I could replace stock Android on my Samsung Galaxy Tab with CyanogenMod, but I'm waiting until they have a stable release--I think it's worth the wait, honestly. I'm LOOOOVING it on the Nook Color I bought for my mom--which, by the by, she's become very attached to and uses every day. It's funny to watch a non-technical (actually, she HATES tech) person grow so attached to it. heheh
Do you boot off the sdcard for the nook or did you flash it to the internal? If flashed to the internal ca you confirm that you lose access to the standard reader, which is my only sticking point because I need the kids books
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
There are foldaway bluetooth keyboards generally speaking, even on pearl.de. I found it to be a good idea to have a tablet and a keyboard in custom leather wrapper.

Last edited by Tibi; 2011-05-19 at 21:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tibi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tibi View Post
There are foldaway bluetooth keyboards generally speaking, even on pearl.de. I found it to be a good idea to have a tablet and a keyboard in custom leather wrapper.
I have a fold away, and it's functional, but there are two complaints:

1) It is far too small to dock a tablet, and thus it would require a separate stand for a tablet

2) It is not attached to the tablet, so it is really only functional on a flat stable surface that you have ample room.

This makes it difficult/impossible to use the foldaway on your lap, small bouncing spaces (eg. car, possibly boat).

I personally would like something that would dock my tablet in a stable way (adjustable clip), and also include some form of pointer support (ie touchpad).

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy