Hi there!

is it possible to move whole /usr directory to /dev/mmcblk0p2 (ext2 partition)?

I suppose so... just copy everything and mount under /usr. But you will have weird problem should you want to give up the card - the flash usr will be out of sync with the mmc usr.

You'd be better off probably cloning the whole system and BOOT off the sd card.

Just search the forum there are some great tutorials on this.

Why do you want to do this?

If there is some extremely large app you want to install, you might be better off making /usr/local a symlink to the SD card and installing to that (assumes you're compiling it yourself of course). This produces fewer changes and no loss of functionality (other than what you installed there) if your SD breaks.

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by TWINc View Post
Hi there!

I don't think this is a good idea. There are many things in /usr which are needed at start up. And there is a good chance that your SD card won't be mounted when the init.d scripts run.

You should plan on having a back up plan (like reflashing) should your IT not want to boot.

Craig...

The Following User Says Thank You to cvmiller For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Hi there!
Good idea but move it one level up to / :-)
Booting whole root from mmc is much more robust solution.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Why it is more robust solution?

by the way i'm already moved /home and /usr to mmcblk0p2 and mmcblk0p3 respectively and this is work well.

The Following User Says Thank You to TWINc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
[QUOTE=TWINc;167295

by the way i'm already moved /home and /usr to mmcblk0p2 and mmcblk0p3 respectively and this is work well.[/QUOTE]

Works well in what way? What are the advantages of what you're doing?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Why it is more robust solution?
Because then you have two independent bootable systems. With only /usr on mmc you have stuff splitted between card and internal flash so both parts depend on each other and if one breaks you are screwed. And there is no real advantage (except saving few megabytes on card for stuff outside of /usr) and it is harder to make it working correctly.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post: