Active Topics

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Hi all

Released yesterday...

http://www.gizmoproject.com/learnmore-nokia800.html

Rich

And once again they have also updated the 770 version - Gizmo 3, Nokia 0 :-)

yep picked up a copy, as an occassional Skpye users whats the advantages of skpye over gizmo apart from being unable to call skype?

Skype has unlimited calls in the US to landlines and mobiles for $14.95/yr-i think it's $29.95 now but still a great deal-also i would think its used my millions more people around the world than any other voip client

right so that about 15quid in real money and after that is just market penetration as opposed to functionality....

Right-really cheap and the market penetration. Not so sure about functionality-I know that both work real good on a PC and gizmo is fine on the N800-we'll see about skpee on the N800 if it ever is available. I've heard skype works fine on S60 phones using fring however

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
skype also does video chat, which i hope is one of the functionalities included in the n800 version
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
It's almost as if gizmo is the beta for Skype.

Different nerworks and landline schemes maybe but the code and gui functions have to be pretty dang close, doncha think?

Guys, i have a question. According to Gizmo's website we should be abe to add MSN users as contacs, but i can't quite figure it out. Has anyone figured it out?

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
It's almost as if gizmo is the beta for Skype.
Different nerworks and landline schemes maybe but the code and gui functions have to be pretty dang close, doncha think?
I may be wrong, but I don't think so. Gizmo is much more standards-based and interoperable (its secondary, plain-vanilla SIP account is one of its strong points). Skype has a closed and proprietary protocol, based on some sort of P2P scheme, which has it banned from many corporate networks for security reasons.