Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
So I'm trying to install Python from the new-fangled application installer. It has a green arrow, so there's me thinking this has to go automagically.

I click on the arrow, the infamous Application Manager comes up and asks me if it can install a new repository. "Why, sure you can," I reply, and it does its thing...

Until the message comes up that it can't install Python because libbluetooth1 (>=2.19) is apparently missing.

Isn't this thing supposed to be automatic? And where the f**k is libbluetooth1, with or without (>=2.19)?

I have to admit this: It must have taken some genius to be able to screw up the Debian update mechanism to such a degree. Mere stupidity cannot accomplish this...

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
The problem with the .install files is - AFAIK - it can only install a single extra repository. So if it has dependencies which are in, say, the Maemo repository - rather than wherever the application is - and you don't have the Maemo repository preconfigured, you'll get that sort of error.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
The problem with the .install files is - AFAIK - it can only install a single extra repository. So if it has dependencies which are in, say, the Maemo repository - rather than wherever the application is - and you don't have the Maemo repository preconfigured, you'll get that sort of error.
So why isn't it mentioned what repositories have to be added to be able to install Python? That would be the least one could expect.

I'm not happy about this...

Even my abnormally bloated desktop PC /etc/apt/sources.list doesn't contain as many repos as I now have in my N800 ditto. I think the tablet repo structure (from a "global" point of view) needs some rethinking.

The normal Debian way is that _any_ dependencies in an "external" repo (i.e. one outside the single "nominal" repo) are resolved _either_ in the same external repo, _or_ in the "nominal" repo. Never in another "external" repo.

For Debian the single nominal repo would be ftp.debian.org/, for the N800 that would presumably have to be stretched to two, or possibly three repos: repository.maemo.org/ bora, plus certified and non-certified on catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com. But everything else should really follow the rule above: Depend on stuff in either the same repo, or from the three above. Anyway, that's my opinion and I'm going to stick to it.. not that I have any say in the setups though, not having contributed a single line of code so far..