Active Topics

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
As you understand nowdays there are more "new" users than old ones, and maybe you are right on first time, but on other hand it would make it only worse. I'll explain myself:
e.g. there were about 14000 downloads on wazapp. Let's say only 0.5% would make new post which would be the same, which would be 70 posts/threads (don't laugh as we have already about 5 or more threads for that) and mostly it would be irrelevant question which has answer on first 5 pages. And maybe it's not that bad, BUT... more data you have about wazapp it would make it harder to find answer for those who use search, so it actually leading us that even those that use search would need to ask again, even though they did use search. So it would make it harder and harder, and than it would be like with google, when once you had all answers on first page and today you may get a lot of irrelevant results...
How you explain this?

Wazapp

This is not a new user, and that too which category this thread belongs to! If a matured (in this forum) guy can do this intentionally, how can we blame new innocent users? We should give them a couple of chances / warnings. I personally respect everyone here and I never experienced anything bad here in TMO. I started a couple of threads where there is still no replies, and I don't complaint because I know those threads deserve it. Still I feel we should give respect to all who deserve it. Give respect and take respect!

Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 6030 -> Nokia N95 -> Nokia X6 -> Nokia N900 -> Nokia N9 -> Nokia Lumia 1520

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I think TMO is one of the most tolerant mobile forums on the web.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL View Post
This is just an probem on ANY forum what goes about technology, Fanboys everywhere, people pissing on the others like they just dont care..
No it's not. The German debianforum.de for example doesn't suffer from this problem.
What I wrote here [1] in the last paragraph in reply to reinob about how a forum can work is essentially what I observe on debianforum.de and some few other forums that work fine. Yes, there are fanboys too. TBH I'm one of them. I'm a FLOSS fanboy but the community almost works like a family, not like a bunch of technically ingenious but anti-social people (exaggeration). There are disputes too but just like I wouldn't truly want to hurt a brother I wouldn't want to hurt any other community member there. So I don't try to escalate things and others seem to feel the same way.
The moderators at debianforum.de are elected by the community and are fully integrated into it (they don't stand out due to their power).
Of course from time to time there are new users who don't want to obey to the forum rules (which are mostly simply common sense written down) but they rarely survive their first day in the community.

On the other hand I must admit that this is really an exception. Most forums I know suffer from the same problems like TMO (some even to a much bigger extent). One reason might be that this is an international community with lots of different ideas of "way of life" and "common sense". It might be impossible to find a common set of community rules that seem self-explanatory to all members of all cultures here. I guess we'd need a sociologist to find that out.

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=16

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
"Expressing an opinion"; "Freedom of speech".

Two of the most abused terms in current times.

I could quite easily call anyone on here every cussword under the sun and claim I'm using "Freedom of speech" to "Express an opinion". Such is the craze these days.

After moderating on an official music artists forum for some years, it was frightening to see the lengths some users went to just to get an "opinion" across...... Threatening to hack someone's PC, death threats in private messages, even sending pron images in PMs. Being a moderator, it was my job to deal with it, and when the perpetrator was banned I would get my share of threats and pron from their supporters.

A moderators lot, I suppose. A little light hearted banter is one thing, but there's always someone out there who's willing to push it further and TMO has been no exception.

I still think people are quite helpful here, if you ask for some information on some specific topic that was not
covered in previous threads already, or just some harmless chat around the devices. Unless it goes beyound that, like somebody dared to ask, if Nokia by chance had an interest to produce a new device.

Those folks that seem to have found their destiny somewhere
else should be happy and contribute there. I really dont't know how to help, when they still need to come over. It seems go along the lines, the os doesn't matter, I still troll at t.m.o.

Originally Posted by praveenchand View Post
How you explain this?

Wazapp

This is not a new user, and that too which category this thread belongs to! If a matured (in this forum) guy can do this intentionally, how can we blame new innocent users? We should give them a couple of chances / warnings. I personally respect everyone here and I never experienced anything bad here in TMO. I started a couple of threads where there is still no replies, and I don't complaint because I know those threads deserve it. Still I feel we should give respect to all who deserve it. Give respect and take respect!
That wasn't duplicating a thread though, that was trolling all the noob's and kids who went crazy over the first wazapp release date and the same bunch that threatened to leave and use another platform :P

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
WOW not every day a new thread has this many responses in so little time.

I will say that of course there are fanboys here, as everywhere else, and yes sometimes an OS can be criticized a bit harsh.

For me this is as good as it gets right now, im still looking in every corner for something better then my N900, lots of AWESOME devices out there but i really want something where i can decide just about everything, would like something where you have to install OS just like a netbook/laptop/desktop computer (yes i know the flash method on the N900 is faster).
Im not going to call myself a fanboy but when/if i get/find anything better im keeping my N900, for me it is still a concord moment.

Anyway good post there

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
I feel that people do try to guide and help newcomers, but I have experienced newcomers just repeatedly ignoring friendly guidance and advice and still not bothering to search and after many attempts to tell them they need to follow rules ect. I myself get fedup, as would anybody who has to repeat the same thing to the same people.
I normally just ignore posters like that, after a while they will give up and just leave. Only can recall one person like that though.

Originally Posted by fasza2 View Post
I normally just ignore posters like that, after a while they will give up and just leave. Only can recall one person like that though.
Its not just one unfortunately, its multiple, which is the frustrating part, one person I can easily ignore, but the same thing happening with say 6 or 7 newcomers is just making me wonder if the rules don't get through their head..

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following User Says Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
We tolerated lumiaman did we not? The person who made the timeline using degrees hit the nail on the head, after Nokia releases its last update things will quiet down

Tags
dirty jokes, douchecopters, dousan=hero!, internet scorn, intolerance, just stupid, litenup francis, welikeitourway