Active Topics

Whoa, good point. This could be Nokia's trademark design for the near future... Aluminum phones for everybody!

The Following User Says Thank You to thearcane For This Useful Post:
really hard to go back to symbian once used Maemo, no matter how awesome its hardware specs are, nokia, please do another maemo device with these goodies like hdmi and 12MP!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by pasih View Post
Gizmodo and Engadget are run by Apple-worshippers who can't handle the truth that Nokia's phones are in many ways much more versatile than Apple's. Their way of dealing with the situation is the same as their cult leader's Jobs' way: belittle the competition and make them look bad. But as is with Jobs they try to be clever and do smack talking with little jabs that erose the competitor's believability.

Engadget had some hope at some point but apparently they decided to make editorial rule of portraying Nokia as one of the bad guys, with really no apparent reason at all. Maybe the reasons are that Nokia has done much better than Apple in the Greenpeace's studies of nature friendly manufacturers, or that they are doing the reverse thing that they are doing with Apple: bringing in ad dollars by bad-mouthing Nokia that brings in the enraged Nokia-fans who try to set the record a bit more straighter. But mostly they just try to do Apple's bidding by destroying the competition, like every good soldier in Apple's holy war is supposed to do. Throw in some US-centric home turf protection and there you have your "unbiased" Engadget.

And no, I don't think Nokia is perfect at all, but really, is Apple? Or Motorola who suddenly is in the graces of American blogs once again? You know I've been a mac user since '94, but nowadays I feel slight repulsion when I see their name in the news. Gladly I'm at the moment in the process of making a move to Ubuntu and Windows 7 just to get rid of them. I don't "hate" OS X, I still think it's the best OS for me, but well, sometimes you just can't justify anymore to yourself to be identified with quite worrisome people many Apple fans are. At least with Nokia and other manufacturers you don't get the worst kind of fanbois that come with the brand. And please, Apple fanbois really are in the league of their own. I've seen many times the words 'Nokia-fanboy' been thrown around but those guys don't hold candle for the Apple fundamentalists really at all.
Fact of the matter is that there are different market segments out there and most of the users in here do not belong in Apple's target market for various reasons.

So to put it simply: they don't have us in mind when they design their products, when they write up their marketing and other PR releases.

It seems moot to me to complain about them when they're not trying to sell their products to us

Once this reality is accepted, then you'll realize that at the base of most of the arguments here against apple is the feeling that opensource, the ideal, should be able to provide something 'good' for the masses to challenge Apple, which is profiting hugely in this situation.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-04-28 at 05:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
i'm liking this device even more after learning that it supports USB OTG, an adapter will come in the box
only limitation is max 4GB file size

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Italy
Nokia is saying that n8 will supposrt flash lite 4 (flash video) and divx xvid out of the box... WOW

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@pasih:

All good points.

My main disappointment with Nokia in this situation is that they've been slow to adjust to the changing market condition. Particularly in leveraging 3rd party apps development and a proper ecosystem for them. They haven't been optimal in their transition to 'next gen OS' either, but that's a pretty deep topic to cover.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
I know I am totally OT in this 3d.. I just wanna say that my iPad has arrived and... yes it SUCKS!!

I extracted a segment of the song from those youtube n8 videos and made a ringtone.

uploaded to share if any1 want it:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i41fk9

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
N8 HD video sample that has really nice quality. Looks like it was shot in Suvilahti, Helsinki.