I think the DSP task should soon be quite usable at 133MHz (on the DSP) which gives the full 400MHz for the ARM (atm it breaks up a bit more than I would like, I'll have a look at some optimisations next week).
Right I've got this working now. I'll do a new release later on this evening with the updated DSP task and a kernel which allows you to decouple the DSP & ARM speeds.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 98 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Antonio, TX
I don't know how long it's been since I popped my head in this thread, but I thought I'd just mention the status of a2dp on my own tablet, currently:

As johnx mentioned before, after flashing to Diablo, there were some weird issues getting a2dp working, but I believe repairing my headphones and rebooting is what actually solved it.

I can currently play not only audio, but also video with mplayer flawlessly, encoded at very high quality. Here is an example of a video file that plays very nicely: http://www.ageofikon.info/N10-Haruhi.avi (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumia AMV).

Just thought I would let everyone know, in case there is any question of how well you should be expecting a2dp to work.

Note that as of this moment, I have gotten lardman's SBC DSP task to play audio very well, but I still have to use the software encoder for video to work well (it basically just freezes the video stream and the audio stream is very choppy using the 1.0 release of the DSP task). Hopefully when he releases the new version this will be improved. Gogo lardman, you are my hero!

New version is released and on the Garage page, please let me know how it works when you decouple the DSP & ARM speeds (see instructions in the Release Notes) to let the ARM run at 400MHz while encoding the audio on the DSP (at 133MHz).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I followed all the steps on thread 1 but still nothing comes out of my nokia bh 601 headset. I even rebooted and tried..... nothing just happens. any ideas.

This is the output i get when i try to play via xterm using mplayer

================================================== ========================
alsa-lib: pcm_bluetooth.c:1589bluetooth_init) BT_GETCAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
alsa-init: playback open error: Input/output errorCould not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

Last edited by sachin007; 2008-07-16 at 03:29.

That's a Bluetooth error as opposed to something wrong with the DSP task.

I've seen that before, try repairing your headset, with some reboots thrown in for fun (I know, not very scientific, but I'm not a Bluez expert.)

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Antonio, TX
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
In fact everytime i try to follow those steps my mplayer just plays any video in fast forward mode without any sound. I have to reflash to get the normal mplayer back.
Aha! I finally witnessed this on my tablet! I can't be positive it is the same cause as for you, but in my case it did this when another device (my desktop PC) was already playing music to my bluetooth headphones. When I stopped the other device from using the headphones, waited a few seconds for the bluetooth connection to time out, and then tried playing the video on the n800 again, it began working normally.

Is it possible that you have another mp3 player, computer or cell phone that is also paired to the headphones and might be keeping a connection open?

This is what it gave me in the terminal when it happened (it is exactly the same error you got in your last post):
Code:
MPlayer 1.0rc1-maemo.29.n8x0 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: ARM
Internet Tablet OS version: RX-34+RX-44+RX-48_DIABLO_4.2008.23-14_PR_MR0

[MENU] Can't open menu config file: /root/.mplayer/menu.conf
Menu inited: /etc/mplayer/menu.conf

Playing /media/mmc1/N10/N10-haruhi.avi.
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)   
AVI file format detected.
VIDEO:  [DIVX]  400x224  24bpp  29.970 fps  1125.6 kbps (137.4 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
 Software: MEncoder 1.0rc1-3.4.2
[omapfb] Nokia N800/N810 hardware detected
[omapfb] tearsync is enabled
==========================================================================
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)
Trying to force audio codec driver family dspmp3...
Opening audio decoder: [dspmp3] MP3 audio pass-through for Nokia 770/N800 (fake decoder)
ADecoder preinit failed :(
ADecoder init failed :(
Trying to force audio codec driver family libmad...
Opening audio decoder: [libmad] libmad mpeg audio decoder
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/9.07% (ratio: 16000->176400)
Selected audio codec: [mad] afm: libmad (libMAD MPEG layer 1-2-3)
alsa-lib: pcm_bluetooth.c:1589:(bluetooth_init) BT_GETCAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
alsa-init: playback open error: Input/output error
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 400 x 224 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.79:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [omapfb] 400x224 => 400x224 Planar YV12  [fs] [zoom]
[omapfb] ARM JIT scaler (quality=2): 400x224 YV12 => 400x224 YUV420
V:  44.7 1341/1341 50% 23%  0.0% 0 0 46%                                        
Exiting... (Quit)
That error is also what lardman was getting previously, before he had correctly paired the headphones. I would recommend trying the following:

Go to Control Panel -> Bluetooth -> Devices
Select your headphones and click Delete
Click New, and go through the pairing process again
Reboot
Try playing something again

Last edited by rm_you; 2008-07-16 at 09:41.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Minneapolis
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
DSP based SBC encoder:

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/dsp-sbc/

I've just released version 1.0.0.

Install it and see how it goes. Note that this is for Diablo only. Also check the install_sbcenc.sh file to check that it works correctly.

Please give feedback at the Garage project.

Enjoy,

Simon
(a2dp was working well using 50% cpu (diablo))
I tried to install this downloaded the 4 files to user/MyDocs,
ran the deb in application manager
un tared the .gz file to /lib/dsp/modules
~/mydocs/chmod 777 ./install_sndcenc.sh
~/mydocs/./install_sndcenc.sh
it said everything installed "now please reboot" i reboot and now it just keeps rebooting, get about 75% on the boot loader graphic and reboots, any help?

Thanks for your work on the a2dp support, so far i love it!

oh dear, I think that might be my fault.

The script will add the dsp task to the dsp_dld_avs.conf file no matter what (like even if it's already been added), this might cause issues.

You should be able to disable the lifeguard reset with the flasher, boot, remove the extra line in said file, then reboot and all should be ok. My apologies

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Minneapolis
no worries, thanks for the quick response

I've added a note to the release notes, I should also tweak the install script. Someone kick me on IRC tomorrow to remind me to do so!

Sorry for the hassle anyone who's been affected