Active Topics

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
I've not read all this thread, but I can say that backing up and formatting from the file manager sorts this too. I did it a while back when I noticed errors when usb mounting the internal memory on ubuntu desktop.

Rich

I seem to have this memeory problem, and I tried to remove my virtual memory, but when I uncheck the checkbox and click OK, it says that it is unable to remove virtual memory.

I tried the method posted on the previous page, of rebooting and then going directly there to unmount it, but still, I get the error. I've tried everything and nothing is working. is there any other method to remove the extended virtual memory? Any help is really, very much appreciated.

NEVER MIND. I just did a restore and it restarted my N810, when it booted, I went straight to the memory panel and unchecked the virtual memory checkbox and it worked this time. Thank god. Now its time to try the fix.

Sweet, it worked. Thanks guys

Last edited by ShortStuf7; 2008-03-22 at 03:39.

Very Useful. You might also add the following two pieces of info:

1) http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...hlight=unmount
contains instructions on how to get around an internal card that you can't unmount because it's locked read-only and has the virtual memory turned on. Booting with the USB cable attached does prevent the virtual memory from going active. Once you copy your files to the PC, you can use format from Windows Explorer to reformat the partition. Since this destroys the swap partition, upon reboot of the Nokia, there is no conflict and one can continue with your steps. However...

2) At least when I did it, my sizes were 2007032 and 2007??? (forgot to write the second number down). Whilst it was smaller than the 2007032, I was unwilling to take a chance that Windows somehow got me a few extra bytes and completed the process using your second method (to get the 1962236/1966072 numbers).

Thanks!

Schemm

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
I hit the internal memory space problem this last week after weeks of not noticing or worrying about the problem on my N810.

Noticed by Windows XP whilst copying/transferring Audio files to internal memory card as a "Sector" mismatch issue.
(Cannot remember message exactly)

In my case issue was quickly fixed after disabling the virtual memory, moving all precious data from my internal card then reformatted using the file manager tools of OS2008.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
I've done my own take on this bug for the Internet Tablet School site:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...d-on-n810.html
Very good! An excellent read.

Apologies if I sounded a bit undiplomatic in my first post in this thread.
Undiplomatic? Undiplomatic? lol, no worries.. I take it you didn't participate much in the good old (80's-90's) Usenet discussion forums.. now _that's_ where you could find undiplomatic!

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
I found I had this problem. Now it is solved.

Thank you very much.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Nashville, TN
Many thanks for this

Thanks for the write up. I have a quick question. I have already manually cleared my internal data card, including uninstalling the maps application and deleting maps and I've moved all visible files to my external memory card. Are there any hidden files I have to back up some other way or can I just format using File Manager as prescribed?

I have weird problems with my n810. It says that my "memory is full" when I try to install more programs. After that there is error "malformed database schema -unable to open a temporary database file for storing temporary tables" and my desktop is loosin all gadgets.

Then I decide to give reboot for my n810. But it ended long reboot cycle (around 10min).. now it ended to my desktop and this looks weird, desktop setups are gone.

Looks like I was noob. I manage to use all memory to applications. Still this error message is weird and this rebooting issue. If someone could say if this is normal when you run out of memory?

I check that problem at first page as example shows about corrupted memory isn't issue here.

Last edited by Pleiades; 2008-04-05 at 03:23.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London, England
Firstly, many thanks for this thread - a friend linked me here (thanks Whatley!), and when I checked I found that I had the bug. I fixed it using the simple formatting method (I didn't see the bit about disabling swap, but think it was probably disabled because I had the device USB-mounted to backup my files anyway).

I'd like to offer a couple of suggestions, both of which are aimed at making the original post in this thread easier to read and follow for the concerned newcomer...

The first is that you could remove the need to use the 'df' command both when checking for the bug, and verifying that you've fixed it. In both cases, the last two lines of the output from 'cat /proc/partitions' give you all the info you need - mmcblk0p1 should be smaller than mmcblk0.

The second suggestion is that if the GUI formatting method works for everyone, it would be really sensible to move the alternative command-line method down into a 'post-script', after the verification stage, or even to remove it completely. Most people won't want to get their hands messy on the command line, and it'd be easier to read the main purpose of the post if that bit was separated out (and I speak as a full-time Perl developer; I'm not scared of command lines).

I know you had to figure out a load of info for the CLI method, and you're probably reluctant to let that effort become 'wasted', but (imho) now that an easier method has been put forward, the CLI method really should be de-emphasised more than it has been - I'd suggest removing it entirely unless there are some cases in which the GUI method won't work.

Thanks again for this post - I don't keep anything important on my tablet, but a corrupt flash disk would still have been annoying when it happened.