Active Topics

Ok I'm a student and I bought the N810 to not have to lug around the laptop on campus smart eh? Ok so here is the link they give for instructions to connect to the universities wireless network: http://www.it.utah.edu/services/conn...fig/index.html All very very straight forward. (I'm following the new instructions post Fall 2007) Needless to say I cant get it to work. The problem I have is that its WPA with TKIP and PEAP. I cant find where to set TKIP encryption. So I set my device up as follows.

Network Name SSID: uconnect.utah.edu
Network is Hidden: <blank>
Network Mode: Infrastructure
Security Method: WPA with EAP

HIT NEXT

EAP type: PEAP

HIT NEXT

Select Certificate: None
EAP Method: EAP MSCHAPv2

HIT NEXT

Username: <myusername>
Password: <mypassword>
Prompt password at every login: Not checked

HIT FINISH

<everything in the advanced tab is generic>
If I hit the WPA2-only mode i get an error saying WPA2 isn't supported by this AP.

So what am I doing wrong? I checked the username and password about fifty times. I'm out of ideas thus I turn to the forum.

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited by SponjWorthy; 2008-01-30 at 01:17. Reason: Clarifications

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
ahh. you might have to do it in the text config file for the interfece. there might not be a GUI access to advanced functions.

i dont have the device on me, but load up & install xterm and look around the /etc/sysconfig folder or wherever debian keeps the files. look for a network folder or something that says ifconfig-wlan0 or ifcfg-wlan0. in there are your settings.

this guy uses debian. this link might help a bit.

http://www.howtoforge.com/whereami_i...fi_debian_etch

do not check WPA2-only mode because I think WPA1 uses TKIP and WPA2 uses AES.

You could try to set manual username in Advanced -settings > EAP -page > select Use manual user name -setting

The Following User Says Thank You to tzeta For This Useful Post:
Those folders dont exist on maemo. I installed the certs manually since they didnt install when I conected. When I go to the control panel and certifcates the certs are there. When I go back to my wifi connections the certs aren't there. Why cant I use those certs?

My N800 also have same problem...since OS2007 to OS2008, Seem Nokia don't have any intention to solve this problem. [Edit] My cert is NOT private key / password protected.

My wireless is using Cisco AP and MS IAS (radius) to authenticate with our MS AD.

1. The N800 didn't show my AP as the predefined AP (always no tick mark).
2. SSL certificate in the list always empty, even I imported successfully.
3. Always ask for the WEP key, the N800 didn't detect as PEAP. (may be related to #1)

I don't understand why my Nokia S60 phone can work, why Linux can't work.

Saka

Last edited by sakamoto; 2008-03-18 at 08:32.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Leipzig, Germany
Same problem here with my N800:
- certificate file was successfully imported and activated for e-mail + WiFi and shows up like that in the Maemo certificate manager
- When trying to connect to a WPA-secured WiFi the certificate dropdown still shows "none"