Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
In general I am very happy with the N9. But it's time to have a rant.
1. No text controls in the browser? Are you kidding me? And no upload control? Whay is this? Did I buy a pineapple? Oh, and why do textareas overzoom?
2. No "remember password" feature in browser? So much for the couch-friendy surfing.
3. I hate that little red arrow on the notifications bar. I am offline. You tried to sync and of course you failed (Mfe I am looking at you). No network. Get over with it and try again when I'm home.
4. Who the **** is asking for network connection and why. I don't want to be bugged continuously for connection when I am offline, even more when I don't know who is asking. I end up leaving the connection window in the background. If an app absolutely needs a connection to work, it should ask for it with an overlay over it's own window not a system-wide popup that doesn't say anything about the request (I know I am repeating myself but I think it's absurd)
5. Accounts: why do you forget the password randomly? And how should I know with that omnipresent red arrow that this time you REALLY failed to sync?
6. Was it so difficult to implement rotation on a screen with a text input and two buttons? I want to write my tweets and facebook comments in landscape.
7. The landscape home css hack proves it works fine (and the bugfix in 1.1 proves someone cared about it working fine). Make a damn check box. It's annoying to switch between landscape windows and having to rotate the phone just for the home screen. Not to mention the cpu power that goes down the drain trying to rotate all the apps each visit to home. And that behavior exists even if you apply the landscape hack. Landscape home and portrait thumbnails. Dumb.
8. No repeat in terminal arrows. I feel like I am playing asteroids. Bling bling bling . . .
9. I am used to clicking on notification icons to see the notification. It how things happen. If i miss the half second window to click the status bar after a message has arrived, I have to (a) swipe my app away (b) swipe 1 or 2 times to get to the notifications screen. Click on the notification. Slow.
10. I don't like that after you swipe down on an app it flashes on the switcher. It's not nice, and it is the only cumbersome animation in all the excellent ui. Lose it.

I also don't like the new swipe from the edge method for changing keyboard layouts but I understand it is needed for swype so even though I don't use swype I won't complain about it. Also the symbols view no longer changes by swiping (which was visually inconsistent anyway) and 123 button is always sticky (It wasn't on multitouch mode before and that was better). Anyway, Nokia has a history of making vkb's worst with each release so this couldn't be an exception. (the best N900 vkb was on PR1.0)

I shouldn't be unfair though. I love how the browser selects links even if you miss a bit and that is clearly visible when you try to click small links in the mail program. I love the haptics of the keyboard. It's almost like pushhing real keys. Much better than all other OS and phones I have tried except maybe anna (havent used that very much but the haptics seem about the same). I also like tue different colored titlebars and buttons in the applications. It helps identify apps quickly in multitasking view.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
I agree with some of the complaints you have.

It is cumbersome to swipe a few times to get to the notification that you were just notified of.

It is totally annoying how you are constantly reminded that you are not connected when you didn't connect.

I am totally annoyed at the fact that everytime you do connect you have to go into accounts and log back into the accounts you want to be connected to, why can't it be automatic upon connection.

I totally agree with swiping down on an app it showing up and then disappearing on the multi task screen, it should just go to the multi task screen direct with no extra animations

MY BIGGEST GRIPE - is how freaking weak the wifi is, please we need to be able to control the strength of it, in public places I can barely connect, at home I can barely connect, my old N82 could connect from what it seemed like miles away, the n900 even with the power set to weak could pickup wifi signals decently, I feel so freaking crippled with wifi I've just consigned myself to using 3g, I fear whats going to happen when the battery weakens over time due to normal use when I have to use 3g instead of wifi...

The device isn't perfect, but overall I love my experience with it, its so sexy compared to any other phone out there.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZackMorris For This Useful Post:
My accounts reconnect when I go back online thankfully. Check that you don't have power saving enabled. No real problem with wifi either, but I haven't stress tested it to be sure.

Oh, and my usb cover is a little concave and it doesn't look as cool as the rest of the phone

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-11-23 at 18:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
I do not have power saving enabled it is off but it doesn't connect automatically. What firmware are you running? I am running PR 1.1 central europe version.

i do not have the same issues with the repeated asking for password, connection or the WiFi issues. The other features that are missing are annoying, but I am hoping they added soon in the next update with some style.

For now my gripe is that there is no way to change the user agent, since many sites show the basic, basic mobile version not the HTML5 one..for instance Picasa, GMAIL etc

Any ideas on how to get around it? Especially since many web apps are popping up as well

No idea about the user agent. Since it's WebKit I would love to use the android one. Btw, does anyone know if the browser supports touch events?
I have the asian version and I am on PR1.1 Never had to reconnect manually except when some account decides to forget the password. Even then, I usually just enter the password in the popup. Only once I had to go to the availability screen to enable online again.

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I love the haptics of the keyboard. It's almost like pushhing real keys.
Did I miss something here? The N9 screen has haptics?

I mean the vibration. It's very good. Also I like that when you swipe to the next key it vibrates too. But there is a bug. If you swipe from outside the keyboard on it and release your finger there is a small vibration and sometimes the key where you lift off gets pushed

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
The FONTS sizes are WAAAAAY TOOO SMALL. Why is there no font adjuster??? Hellooooooooooo....NOKIA. My call quality did improve with PR1.1

I was with account and wifi problems, but now with PR 1.1 it is not a problem anymore.
One thing I did was totally wipe the phone after upgrade do PR 1.1... if I use the backup made with PR 1.0, things acts VERY VERY strange.

My tip is: reset your phone to factory settings and start from begining WITHOUT restore ANY backup.
It worked for me and solved a lot of problems wich I had on PR 1.0, and even with PR 1.1.

The Following User Says Thank You to elieserleao For This Useful Post: