Posts: 15 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Sep 2015 @ Budapest, Hungary
This looks great, I have just flashed it, got some nostalgic feelings when I saw the well known wallpaper!

But I enabled the virtual keyboard it does not appear. What should I do to trigger it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cefre00 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
It should pop up automatically when you are focused on a text input field. Doesn't work for you?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Sep 2015 @ Budapest, Hungary
Yes, it did pop up the second time I booted the OS. Thanks for reminding me the magical powers of...reboot!

So the first impressions, as I have the BH Pinephone since March.
Since I had the PP I had flashed many OSs, boy... way too many. Currently I have Mobian installed in the eMMC and I have Manjaro and Sailfish on SD cards.
I never liked android, the UI especially. It looks like a lame copy of iOS, right? And Phosh reminds me way too much on that, so I never liked Phosh that much. The devs behind these are really working hard and now we have camera working, etc.
BUT as soon as Maemo Leste would have a working package magament and a working GSM service I will dump those immediately.

I was always a Nokia, Symbian, Maemo, Meego, Sailfish kind of guy, so I can appreciate the familiar wallpapers, desktop layout, etc more. Can't wait to see Maemo work on PP.
Is there any way to follow the development a little closer? To see where are things at and what's coming next? Btw is the PP a goal to achieve for Maemo devs?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cefre00 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johnb543 View Post
i am one of the few noobs that will buy this phone when available, to use with maemo leste... keep up the great work !!!

Been a long time since i posted here. I stopped when the n900 usability was basically none. Cameback for the neo900 which was a scam.

Cameback now from the pinephone forums and bought a pinephone now that it is likely a keyboard is coming relatively soon.

I loved maemo on the n900, that and the original pi got me into Linux in a big way, I had only tinkered with it before.

I would love to have a working maemo again.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swordfish II For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by preflex View Post
Also, having gone through the seven stages of systemd (and pulse) i've been coping okay with lennartware.
F those. I remove pulse and use alsa on every system i have.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Swordfish II For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
It appears that the Leste images do not boot from SD card on the PMOS edition of the pinephone, at least not on the convergence package version with 3GB of RAM.

This problem isn't unique to Leste: Plasma Mobile and UB Ports fires the LED camera flash once then only boot to the red light of nothingness. Leste doesn't appear to do anything (visible) at all. Talk in the pinephone forums seems to suggest that the image must be built specifically for the memory and storage configuration of the convergence edition.

I was really hoping to try this.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
I also can't boot from a PMOS convergence pinephone. There isn't even an LED turning on.

I tried the dd command and Balena Etcher. Neither seem to work.

Last edited by Budrz; 2020-09-17 at 15:33. Reason: Clarification

The Following User Says Thank You to Budrz For This Useful Post:
Quick reply (been quite busy), I can try to take a look at this when I get home a few days from now. It is indeed very likely that we need a different DTS for a higher ram device.

Please poke me again in a few days from now (IRC is best, bugtracker also works, I read the focus occasionally), and then let's see if we can get this fixed ASAP.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Over at the Pine64 forums, a member has created a patched bootloader that works with the 3GB pinephone and bundles 13(!) distros, including SFOS in a multi-boot image. (If you want anything to work correctly or for very long, make sure to search the thread for how to expand the partition to the full size of your medium!) It will boot from the SD card, so you can impress your friends -- if you're allowed to see them face-to-face -- with a phone that runs almost all the Linux mobile OSs.

SFOS looks really nice, but I haven't yet found the right repo to add to see all the Jolla Store apps (hints anyone?). I have not tested Sailfish with a SIM yet to check mobile voice and data. Many things don't quite work yet (GPS ). Also, Sailfish is getting some good publicity from positive user experiences on that forum!

So far, I think the Ubuntu Touch distro is the closest thing to a daily driver, and even then it's not that close. But progress on several distros seems rapid, so watch this space if you're into multibooting your favorite non-mainstream mobile operating systems.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Dont forget that mobian seems to be working pretty well too.

x

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 7, pine phone