Posts: 70 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Milan - Italy
Buy a fonera (with an atheros chip), install the legend firmware and make a battery pack...it the best suite for wardriving and cracking wep

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Lupin3d View Post
Buy a fonera (with an atheros chip), install the legend firmware and make a battery pack...it the best suite for wardriving and cracking wep
And that solution is so much smaller/compact, compared to:N800+powerd usbhub+usb nic?
And how will you manage the information from your scanned/cracked networks, the fonera has no display, sounds to me that u might as well carry around a laptop :-P

Is anyone using this for the usb powered hub:

http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-CP-.../dp/B0002UQALQ

Or are there smaller alternatives?

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
I own one. I bought it to use with my Zaurus C1000 and I haven't used it with my N800. To give you an example of what's it's capable of powering:
-It will let me use my 2GB memorex USB flash drive, which wouldn't work with the Zaurus's USB host mode when plugged in directly.
-It won't let me use a 1.8" USB hard drive. It tries to spin it up but fails .

In short, buy it if you're feeling lucky, but it really doesn't provide a lot of juice.

-John

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Milan - Italy
Originally Posted by mutex View Post
And that solution is so much smaller/compact, compared to:N800+powerd usbhub+usb nic?
And how will you manage the information from your scanned/cracked networks, the fonera has no display, sounds to me that u might as well carry around a laptop :-P
connect via SSH and mount a n800 share using mount.cifs in fonera.

Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
I own one. I bought it to use with my Zaurus C1000 and I haven't used it with my N800. To give you an example of what's it's capable of powering:
-It will let me use my 2GB memorex USB flash drive, which wouldn't work with the Zaurus's USB host mode when plugged in directly.
-It won't let me use a 1.8" USB hard drive. It tries to spin it up but fails .

In short, buy it if you're feeling lucky, but it really doesn't provide a lot of juice.
Ok, I imagine a similar energy requirement for a moving parts hard disk and a wifi key.

Given that the effective range of a wifi key would be constrained by available power - it would want the full wattage that usb provides I imagine.

Which would probably drain the batteries quickly also.

So what is the solution?

Is the deal with the wifi chipset in the n810 that it doesn't support injection at all, or that the drivers from Nokia don't support it?

If it can't be done, what about putting the n810 in flight mode? Would that then free enough juice to drive a usb wifi stick via the usb port without external power?

Has anyone else come up with a portable wifi pentest solution with an n810? It is crying out for it!

thanks mutex,i'm going to try it

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
Is the deal with the wifi chipset in the n810 that it doesn't support injection at all, or that the drivers from Nokia don't support it?
Nobody knows, since the hardware is undocumented and the driver is closed, but I suspect it's just a matter of the driver (the developer, on the maemo mailing list, told he could work on injection only if somebody could come up with a reasonable business case to present to his bosses).

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ corpus christi texas
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Nobody knows, since the hardware is undocumented and the driver is closed, but I suspect it's just a matter of the driver (the developer, on the maemo mailing list, told he could work on injection only if somebody could come up with a reasonable business case to present to his bosses).
Wonders if any1 knows? Does the silica/n800 hardware allow packet injection? If so, is it the same wlan chip, same driver? Plus has anyone able to install canvas on their own n8**?

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
does anyone have a good step by step tutorial on how to use aircrack-ng for wep cracking?