Yes, it is faster and also simpler(if you dont want to go through the process of setting up mount)

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
wow, what a wonderful idea. Now I have the wiki for schools, thumbnail version, .iso mounted on the mmc1, it is an endless book............now I need to look up how to make the tablet run for 4-5 hrs without charging, or just get 2 more extra battery. Thank you pipeline and linux_author,

Edit: This is the BEST offline thing I can do with my N800, I enjoyed very much. Thanks again.

One short question, apparantly one cannot SEARCH, is that correct? They only allow subject or title word and then go down alphabetically. That is a pity! With so much informmation, if you cannot search, it is a true handicap. Can somebody confirm this, please? Still, I love the thing. Whenever, I am NOT online, I play with wiki. Thanks again.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-01-20 at 19:31.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
- very happy that you have achieved success in your offline wiki setup!

- alas, searching would require 'horsepower' on the part of the n800, web browser, and additional software *or* a pre-built index (if you're familiar with *nix, ala the slocate database index/search architecture)...

- if you're looking for a bit more flexibility and faster retrieval, then i'd suggest sdictviewer and the pre-built sdict wikipedia databases...

- but it's nice to read through these mini-Wikipedias, isn't it?

:-)

If someone would port a lightweight indexer like strigi then it would be possible.

Originally Posted by drizek View Post
If someone would port a lightweight indexer like strigi then it would be possible.
Mind to elaborate? Thanks.

Go back to the mWiki, oh yes, that is really really fun, it replaced my night news bedtime story, instead of watching the 6pm news (I have it on videocenter, and able to watch anytime I want, I will post URLs for CBS, NBC, ABC and BBC soon), now I browse wiki before going to bed. I am also dl'ing the sdict version and the big 2.93 G, will post when they are ready.

BTW, my iso file is home made. I dl'ed the .zip file, 7-z unzip the baby from 800 MB to 1.2 G and then zip it into and .iso file into a 1.2G file, dont know why my homemade is 1.2G while the one that distribte by wiki is 890 MB. Well, space is very precious in the tablet.

bun

strigi is a linux indexer like Spotlight for Mac or whatever they call the search thingy in Vista.

It can go through each page on the wikipedia archive and then index them so that you can search by keyword. Strigi is very efficient so it should run (slowly) on the n800.

Kurt Löbbecke developed a small webserver for PDAs and Zauri in java to use the wikipedia.
http://wikijserver.achterliek.de/
It worked very nice and fast on a Zaurus 3100. Unfortunately there is no further development on his project. But if it would be possible to port it to the N800 it's a perfect solution for an offline Wikipedia on N800.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I am also dl'ing the sdict version and the big 2.93 G, will post when they are ready.
The sdict version is available through other sources too - sdict.com had trouble delivering the whole file for a while. I uploaded the files to megaupload and another host, see here for details.

The Following User Says Thank You to gsagers For This Useful Post:
I do the mount option, but I do not like (or I do not know how to use) the reader. It requires scrolling. I would like to see the articles reformat to the size of the screen, so one can just read rather than keeps scrolling L R or UP down. I have not tried the sdict. Cant get the sdict files, the website keeps on kicking me out even after 2 weeks. And BTW, I did downloaded the full version 3.3 G, in fact, a few other copies of 3.3., have not tried it yet. Anybody wants a copy, feel free to PM me, I will mail you a copy. If interest is too big, then some gurus will have to teach me how to host a file on the internet. Reading wiki without internet is really really fun. thanks.

bun

I bittorrented my copy. I'll leave my copy up for download. There should be a link to it in this discussion.