Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
My N900 runs fine for a day or 2, then slows down so opening or closing anything (including locking or unlocking screen) takes maybe 5 seconds or so. Today i received a call, the screen stayed blank, then it flashed up with the caller, i hit answer and my open conversations header popped up in the background, then i was able to answer. I tried playing a recorded video, opening the media player takes an age, then the video froze after 10 seconds and i had to wait for the device to respond again before closing the player.

It does this for another day perhaps before being almost totally unusable. If i open a web page in this state it freezes and won't respond to anything and i have to remove the battery to even turn it off.

I thought it was perhaps the digiclock widget, but having removed it from the desktops it's made no difference. I thought for a while it was being OCd to 1GHz, but even at 900 or stock it still does it (kernel v42 by the way).

Other widgets i have are nicolai's desktop switcher, OMWeather (set to update once a day), QBW, touchsearch, connect-now, recaller, bluezwitch, FM transmitter, default media player, photo slideshow, location, default calendar and email, and yellownotes. I also have battery graph installed.

Anyone got any suggestions that could help?

There was an almost identical thread a week or two back, i think the only solution mentoined was to get alarmed and use it to set a 4am reeboot.
I dont get to see any problems related to extended up time myself as i use 2 batteries and an external charger, so i didn't look too hard.
Its probably worth a search to see if any other solutions were offered.

Last edited by matts76; 2010-12-08 at 17:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to matts76 For This Useful Post:
Remove the FM transmitter widget.

Removed the FM widget and it's made no difference.

Whatever it is is raping the battery too. I go from 30% to 0%, presumably because of the resource it's taking just to do anything

Type top in the terminal to see which process is taking cpu cycles.

here's the top output
Attached Images

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
This is a problem that has persisted since day one. There is a fairly lengthy thread about it here

There are a few scripts and applications around that claim to speed things up again, I've tried them all, for me none made any visible difference though others claim much success.

Originally Posted by dchky View Post
This is a problem that has persisted since day one. There is a fairly lengthy thread about it here

There are a few scripts and applications around that claim to speed things up again, I've tried them all, for me none made any visible difference though others claim much success.
I didn't always have this problem, which is why i'm confused about it.

What do you do to resolve it? Just reboot every day?

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Pretty much yes, just a reboot every other day when it becomes troublesome.

From my own (probably also very subjective) experiments I seem to trigger the slow down almost right away whenever I watch videos.

I'm still hoping there will be a cure out there somewhere : )

Originally Posted by dchky View Post
Pretty much yes, just a reboot every other day when it becomes troublesome.

From my own (probably also very subjective) experiments I seem to trigger the slow down almost right away whenever I watch videos.

I'm still hoping there will be a cure out there somewhere : )
just found this http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...344#post893344