Notices

Can i use this new version as a live desktop? I have the original conky as my number1 desktop and being able to do this with this version would be the biggest contributing factor for installing it.

Ill prob test it for myself when i've got more time next week, but would be really interested to see any screen shots if anyone else is using the new version as a live desktop.
Thanks

Matt

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
i don't think anyone else knows how, apparently you didn't read the last two posts or you wouldn't be asking if you can still do the thing we just said we don't know how to do...

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
matts76 finally answered my PM, the procedure is to install "Live wallpaper", go to your phone settings and click it. Now, click a desktop, choose category "unknown" and select "conky".
It works fine except it launches conky directly instead of using conky.sh, so the default config file is always loaded, even if you have a customized one in your MyDocs. I am thinking the easiest solution is just to delete the conky.conf in /etc/Conky and create a symlink to the MyDocs one. Then again, some people may prefer to have two configs - one for the desktop, and one for the windowed version.

Here's a screenshot, the default conf i provided actually works very well, only problem i see is the right aligned text is off the right edge of the screen by a pixel or two. Maybe a bug in the live wallpaper or something, should be easy to work around. The bargraph text is also shifted but its not as bad, at least is still readable.

If you're wondering, the conky process is killed any time the desktop goes off the screen, so it's not a battery killer. Just the history graphs start over each time.

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2010-12-11 at 21:43. Reason: added screenshot

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Thanks for pushing out the new version! (sorry I couldn't test it),
With all the new features, any chance of the weather plugin working?

Originally Posted by dbrodie View Post
Thanks for pushing out the new version! (sorry I couldn't test it),
With all the new features, any chance of the weather plugin working?
yeah, someone has to download ConkyForecast from here and make an optified deb first though. It's just a python script and some config files, but its required by conky weather
You could probably get it working without repackaging the deb, but it's not much work either way so I don't know which is easier

Heres a screenshot!
http://postimg.com/image/26000/25873.jpg

You can just use the deb's from the ppa in the N900 the way they are.

EDIT: Fixed

Last edited by dbrodie; 2010-12-13 at 13:05.

cool, might work well with the live desktop method... only problem with those debs is they will take up rootfs, but yeah if its just a tiny script and you put the images elsewhere, who cares.

Well, they don't take up much, but if there is interest I wouldn't mind trying to repackage all the different conky extras from the ppa into an optified conky-extras (original name!) package.

I updated my codebase to use the latest from the master branch, so its 1.82 now.
I fixed a few small bugs I found and spent the rest of the weekend (almost all of it) playing with lua and cairo.
It was really frustrating because I didn't know either of those languages and I had to learn them because the scripts people posted online are full of memory leaks and bugs
I need to go play some xbox and clear my head, but I thought I'd update you guys on the progress in case anyone else finds this "fun".
I will upload a new version to the garage page, the bugs i fixed are critical to get this lua and imlib2 stuff working the way i did.

(looks cool but uses a lot more cpu! also xorg crashed twice and phone reboots when that happens... YMMV)

Also gotta attach this zip, its containing some lua scripts and font, jpg is not included as its not public domain. I run the lua scripts by placing all in a "lua" subfolder of MyDocs. The LoadAll.lua sits in mydocs, call that one from conky .conf with... well just look at the conf. I'll attach it in a minute.
Attached Files
File Type: zip scripts.zip (31.5 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2010-12-20 at 05:22. Reason: added attachment

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by matts76 View Post
Can i use this new version as a live desktop? I have the original conky as my number1 desktop and being able to do this with this version would be the biggest contributing factor for installing it.

Ill prob test it for myself when i've got more time next week, but would be really interested to see any screen shots if anyone else is using the new version as a live desktop.
Thanks

Matt
oh, bad news, i just tested the live desktop and it now crashes when you switch desktops. it was unstable before, now it's useless. i suspect cairo... and really i have no clue how to fix that. one of the lua scripts had a comment from the author where he added some extra stuff to "fix a segfault when a window is dragged across conky" or something. so you get the idea. someone that actually knows how to do this stuff should fix it

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2010-12-20 at 05:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:

Tags
conky