Hey - this might sound obvious but have you guys tried turning the N800 off/on and then trying to pair (cp>BT keyboard?)

I had similar problems with the N800 pairing with the SU-W8 that's been posted here many times. (The other annoyance was that the N82 was somewhere in the room and kept pairing with it first)

Interesting idea, reflashing and not restoring from backup. Question is: What gets restored about the keyboard? Perhaps I can just go into the system and mess with those configuration files.

Incidentally, I tried editing /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf. There's a config item there that controls the way the Security Manager is used. Normal mode is "user". I tried setting that to "none", which the comments seem to indicate turn off security checking for bluetooth connection. The result was that my keyboard was never found in scanning.

I hope you guys can tell that this is going from an annoying bug to an interesting technical problem!

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ St Thomas, ON, Canada
You need the function key on keyboard to put numbers in.

The trick that I found worked for me was this:

1. Click OK

2. Hold down the FN button on the SU-8W

3. While still holding down FN, type the code numbers

4. Press enter on the keyboard

That worked for me pretty consistently, would be interested to know if it works for other people.

All,
I finally found a solution to my keyboard pairing problem.

It turns out that this is a known bug, listed here:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2640#c21

To save you searching through this bug to find the work around, here is what worked for me. Note that this worked for me after two tries, so YMMV:

- Open xterm and gainroot (I use ssh root@localhost)
- cd /var/lib/bluetooth
- rm -rf * (note that this will eliminate all deviced you have previously paired. If you have the MAC address of your keyboard, just delete that directory)
- Power off your N800. Remove the battery
- Go get a drink of water or something (wait a couple of minutes - this is probably supersition, but hey, isn't all technology?)
- Put the battery back in, power up. Also power up your keyboard.
- Pair from the Control Panel, as you would normally do.

If this doesn't work for you, try it again. It worked for me and for several people who reported the bug.

I hope this helps somebody. My N800 is finally useful for blogging again! (http://www.sailor.nu)

Andy

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abarrow For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
I can report that Andy's steps worked for me on my newly-flashed-to-Diablo N800. A reboot after you've nuked the contents of /var/lib/bluetooth/ is indeed required, but you don't have to pull the battery or go get a drink of water: just turn the tablet off and then power it right back up and carry on with his steps.

When re-pairing with my SU-8W, I found that there was an extra "Retrieving device name..." stage before it showed the keyboard in the list of pairable devices. I'm pretty sure that this is your first hint that things are working. The second hint is that it doesn't throw up "Pairing Failed" right away when you start pairing -- instead, the green "Fn" light comes on after a moment or two and then you can type in your sooper seekrit code and press Enter.

(Actually, the first hint that things are working is probably that the Bluetooth settings tool has forgotten your tablet's Bluetooth name, putting something generic in the "My device's name:" field.)

A grateful thank from the last days of 2020, what a truly helpful post! ( ͡°ᴥ ͡° ʋ)