Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Originally Posted by newf View Post
lets stick, on topic, my concern was if the n800 was not stable, and this thread certainly indicates it might not be.

I have to admit, the geek in me is still so close to just ordering it.
Despite some negatives, it's a funny piece of technology, so if you can get a deal around, go for it!! You'll be very happy

lets stick, on topic, my concern was if the n800 was not stable, and this thread certainly indicates it might not be.

It is a sweet piece of miniaturization. If there's even just a little geek in you, you shouldn't have much trouble fleshing out its capabilities with the apps that can be installed and with the help available in this group.

I admit to spending more time on tricking it out than I thought I'd have to. But it's been pure fun.

The Following User Says Thank You to bilofsky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
We have two N800 purchased for work. They have both been very "stable" for myself and my partner. An occasional browser shutdown for my partner with the beta version of MicroB in OS2007 (mainly on Orbtiz with other windows up). OS2008 on the other hand has been great for both of us. I just can't wait for the new communications/messaging software to be out of beta.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
I share a lot of the positive and negative sentiments in this thread but have gone tye way of the tablet in the hopes that I could be one of those users who helps developers think less in the terminal and more in the 'solving a issue simply' mindset.

Now, I do agree that a lot needs to be worked on. But what is here is quite impressive. If potential and 'some' hacking doesn't turn you off, this is a great platform. But it does require a good deal of patience.

That all being said, can a bro get a browser that does a nice zoom to view mode and handles js/ajax heavy sites with a bit more skill. For an internet device, one would think that the browser would be the most polished part.

Not sure what's up with the talk about stability. I csn't remember my N800 ever crashing.

I wonder how many of the people who've had so many problems and crashes etc bought their N800 before june?

its probably a matter of time and place.. like the 360. crashing etc with earlier models, but the newer ones work perfect, and more. im considering buying one within the next few weeks. Buying two even, one for my gf.. and I wonder if me buying them at the time I am makes a difference than to the people who bought theirs a while back, with all the bugs and crashing issues..

Or could I just be wrong..?

Mine has not even yet! I was so excited when I found an open source tablet. It was getting depressing looking at all the Tablets, PDA's etc that run Windows Mobile. I am looking forward to hacking it and finding work rounds I can't wait. I have however used Ubuntu full-time for 2 years.

People should be aware this not Windows before buying it.

Helen

For me it was not. But that's just me :0)
Good luck to you if you decide to buy one. hopefully you have good luck like some of the other people in here.
For context, I did end up getting the iPAQ 110 and it also had a defect where it would randomly reset itself, so I've sent that one back too. But I will be getting a new one a couple days from now, and I was more impressed with it than the N800 if for nothing else, the tiny size and very light weight plus the much better fit and finish.
*A Professor of Truth at the Academy for the Advancement of (insert subject here)
*A Pathological Non-Liar
*A Dissector of Logical Thought
*A Cynical Comic of Society

Delusions of grandeur not included. Do not use product in a manner not specified by the Terms of Use. Avoid prolonged exposure to intellectually flawed thought for best results.

Originally Posted by andyfromtucson View Post
Not sure what's up with the talk about stability. I csn't remember my N800 ever crashing.
LOL. That's like saying I can't remember the my windows xp never crashing. The N800 is great, but it does crash.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by MstPrgmr View Post
LOL. That's like saying I can't remember the my windows xp never crashing. The N800 is great, but it does crash.
I'd say this needs some defining.

If "crash" = "system fully locked up or unable to use it with rebooting", then no, I have yet to see my n800 crash with daily use.

If "crash" = "an application locks up or exits" then that brings us into the world of individual apps, rather then the device/OS.

The Following User Says Thank You to Moonshine For This Useful Post: