Notices

just in case anyone is experiencing problems, I found that if I disabled channel hopping in /etc/kismet/kismet.conf (or was it /etc/kismet.conf I don't remember), kismet would run for longer than 24 hours without freezing or stopping collecting packets.

Originally Posted by bluesubaru View Post
I still have my copy of kismet_2007.01.R1b-1.0_armel.deb.

If anyone needs it, PM me.

Edit: Rapidshare download
You've been very helpful... Thank you so much!!!

BTW I don't understand why they take it out from repos...

Salut,
Sebas.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Ah sebas, here you are.

fyi the only responsible of the lack of Kismet in any repository is the old (Maemo 2) maintainer for closing down his repository (in his own right). Nobody else picked that package for Maemo 2, nor for any more recent version.

If you think Nokia censored it because a, b, c... think it twice. Nothing to do.

EDIT: I would answer this in maemo-users but not having my work laptop makes it harder to respond from @nokia.com. See you there on Monday, if still needed.

Last edited by qgil; 2008-11-21 at 23:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Anyone having issues installing ncurses-base on N810 running maemo OS2008 Version: 5.2008.43-7?

I upgraded to the latest OS release and got tcpdump installed, but not ncurses-base. Thanks.

It would be very helpful if wouldn't mind to tell us what kind of issues did you have.

But generally "apt-get install ncurses-base" as root should do it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
"apt-get install ncurses-base" did it. Furthermore to get kismet installed I had to run "dpkg –i nokismet-0.0.1a.deb" instead of installing from app manager. Thanks mikkov.

Anyone have a script or app to convert XML to Shapefile?

Originally Posted by Tantris View Post
Ok... I will try to give a little step-by-step guide how I think it makes sense...

Packages to install before kismet:
flite (Speech output when a new wlan is found. Very cool)
aircrack-ng (airmon-ng is fine to get your wlan *out* of monitor mode once you quit kismet, otherwise you might have to reboot your tablet)
becomeroot (we need some way to become root)

Install kismet from tz1's link (you might need the red pill mode for this, but I don't know exactly - it might work as root in a shell with dpkg -i [debfile])

! Important: Use this only with tz1's build! eko's build places the .conf-files under /etc/kismet !

Download my confs from http://rapidshare.com/files/10086066...confs.tgz.html
and save this .tgz-file somewhere on your tablet where you will find it again.

Open a x-term shell, become root (sudo gainroot) and copy the file you just downloaded to /usr/etc and untar it there:

cp kismet_confs.tgz /usr/etc
cd /usr/etc
tar -xzvf kismet_confs.tgz

This will overwrite the standard .confs with my versions.

Changes from tz1's original confs:
1.) Disable apm (doesn't work anyway)
2.) disable sound (same)
3.) enable speech (with flite)
4.) change the capture source from prism54g (produces rubbish) to nokia770 (fine)

The data files will be written to /media/mmc1/, so you should have an exchangable card in there, if you want to change it, edit kismet.conf.

I can only say that it works fine for me, so I hope it will for you.

Oh and if you want metric units (for speed from gps and stuff) set
metric=true in kismet.conf

/Edit: Forgot half of the important stuff ;-)

Running Kismet
============
Set your wlan to *not* connect automatically, if you are connected to a wlan, quit the connection (gray wlan symbol).

Open your terminal, become root, and start kismet by typing kismet ;-)

After running kismet your wlan might be in some half-zombie mode (you have this case if you click on your gray wlan icon and it won't find any wlans).

In this case type
airmon-ng stop wlan0

This should do the trick
I installed aircrack-ng and tried "airmon-ng stop wlan0" and it says, "Wireless tools not found". What am I doing wrong?

Originally Posted by ckbjj View Post
I installed aircrack-ng and tried "airmon-ng stop wlan0" and it says, "Wireless tools not found". What am I doing wrong?
you didn't install wireless-tools?

I just got a Nokia N810 today and was having trouble getting kismet running. I am having issues using the nokismet.0.0.1a.deb package.

Here is what I have successuflly done up to this point:

enabled extras
installed rootsh

Here is what I have had issues with:
installing tcpdump - I actually did get this running, but I had to use the version found on the mulliner site for the n770. I had all kinds of issues with the dependencies.

installing kismet - it would install, but then it would bail on me almost instantly. I had no data, no actual proof it worked even for a second.

I am using diable_2008.43-7.

Thanks ahead of time.