Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Notion Ink is an Indian startup that has never released a product before. Their device, the Adam, has everything I would need in a tablet form factor:

10" Pixel Qi transflective display
Dual-Core ARM® CORTEX A9 MPCORE™ Processor
NVIDIA Tegra T20 chipset
180 degree Swivel Camera
1080p Full HD video playback
integrated WiFi, Bluetooth and UMTS/HSDPA

I'm more than a little sceptical about Android and their branching of the Linux kernel but as a long time Maemo user I'm really excited about the future developments MeeGo will bring to the wider Linux ecosystem. What do you think?

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
10" is a way too big imho. 5" would be my favorite size.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Port MeeGo to the Adam ? Sure (if drivers are available). Nokia to buy Notion Ink ? What for ? It’s not like Nokia has no experience in building hardware or would not be able to get a lot better deals than Notion Ink as a startup ever could.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NokiaRocks View Post
10" is a way too big imho. 5" would be my favorite size.
5" is too close to my N900's size to justify a purchase

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
What kind of touchscreen does it have?
For something that big, finger-friendly UI is very2 advantageous..
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Port MeeGo to the Adam ? Sure (if drivers are available). Nokia to buy Notion Ink ? What for ? It’s not like Nokia has no experience in building hardware or would not be able to get a lot better deals than Notion Ink as a startup ever could.
Indeed. It's not like Notion Ink uses some in-house hardware components. Nokia actually have it's own factories where example iphone is made by Foxconn.

That said something like that running Harmattan/MeeGo with example Tegra 2, 5inch screen, yes please.

Last edited by tissot; 2010-04-17 at 15:13.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
What kind of touchscreen does it have?
For something that big, finger-friendly UI is very2 advantageous..
The Pixel Qi screen does not come in 5" size. It has a capacitive multitouch screen. I would prefer resistive but the general public prefers capacitive. Is resistive multitouch ready for production yet?

The Pixel Qi screen is the main reason I want this. It's much better for the environment than regular LCD screens. I own an OLPC that my kids still use occasionally and I can't understand why it's taken this long for computer manufacturers to switch to this technology:

"The readability and legibility of our new screens rival the best epaper available today. What's new about our screens: fast video rate update (refresh), and fully saturated color at low pricing because we use standard manufacturing materials, processes and factories. Our screens use 1/2 to 1/4 the power of a regular LCD screen, and when integrated carefully with the device can increase battery life between charges by 5-fold."

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
I would welcome anything that can make the Adam be released sooner, but I strongly doubt a buyout from Nokia would be effective in this regard...

Should Nokia buy them!? Hell no! I have nothing against Nokia, but we need to have some innovative free thinkers out there, and if Notion Ink gets sucked up, it'll kill all that innovative thinking by drowning it in a corporate bureaucracy from the black lagoon. Nope, these guys need to stand on their own. Only once they stop innovating should they be bought up in order to push them forward again. In the meantime, leave them alone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Should Nokia put out a 10" pixelqi based touchscreen tablet running Meego, with USB Host ports, full size SDHC card slot, and an HDMI out port? Yes. Though, I'd prefer mini-DVI-I and 1280x720 native resolution.

Should Nokia buy Notion Ink in order to make it happen? no.

Should the Adam be converted away from Android? no.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post: