Notices

Update: Version 2.8 is out now.

This brings plenty of new features and bugfixes.
Biggest change is an UI change regarding the tabbar. Instead of horizontal list it now uses a scrollable vertical list which gives a better overview of the opened tabs.
The new design makes it possible to hide some convenient features like filemanager, backupmanager, video player and more in a dropdown menu.

Completely new is a Cookie Manager which allows you to see all accepted cookies and to remove single ones if you want to.
One feature requested and finally added is the option to configure the CoverActions.
There are two Cover Action Group configuration options which allow you either to choose New Tab | Stop/Reload or using Previous Tab | Next Tab as Cover Actions.

Changes:
  • Fixed OpenDialog wrong links to Android SD Card and SD Card
  • Revamped Tabbar (vertical list instead of horizontal)
  • Added MenuPopup for starting stuff from new Tabbar header (File
  • Manager,Backup Manager, Video Player, Download Manager)
  • Added new "about:" uris for Backup Manager, Video Player & Download Manager
  • Added Pulley Menu for VideoPlayer Page to OpenFiles and Streams
  • Hide Download Manager from Pulley (we don't need duplicates)
  • Allow showing html code for selected text (scroll down to see html button)
  • Added ViewPlaceholder for VideoPlayer if no media is loaded
  • Save backups to the Documents folder by default (new harbour rule)
  • Changed text of BackupPage to indicate changed saving path for backups
  • Fixed Youtube Get Stream URLs (should reliably get 240p,360p & 720p mp4 streams excluding ciphered ones like vevo)
  • Fixed ContextMenuOverlay blocking touch events on ytQualChooser close
  • Added DefaultCoverActionGroup setting
  • Added CookieManager (allows searching and removing of single cookies)

You can find the RPM on openrepos.net

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Posts: 137 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Guate
Massive improvements. Once again: Thank you

Last edited by karlos devel; 2017-06-24 at 19:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to karlos devel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Exactly, worth an explicit 'Thanks!'

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Update: Version 2.9 out now.

This is mostly a bug fixing release.
Major improvements in the translation department. A lot more strings are not translatable/translated.
Most noticable change is the improvement of the DevicePixelRatio Hack which leads to most sides directly loading the mobile version instead of loading the desktop version and switching to the mobile version.
This change might affect some pages in a negative way. Maemo forum here looks a bit broken though is a lot more readable with this new trick.

A nice new feature for people dealing with torrent files is the addition for magnet support. Which basically means if a magnet link is detected webcat simply asks the system to handle this. So you need a torrent client supporting magnet links for this to work.

Another change in the engine departement is the handling of webkit crashes. We all know the qtwebkit version is not the most reliable rendering engine especially on SailfishOS. Therefore I added a detection of a crash (so webcat still running but engine only crashed) which automatically reloads the engine and site. This will work for 3 crashes after that it will not reload again as for a notorious site crashing the engine all the time we want to avoid a loop of crash.

There are some other minor fixes like the InfoBanner showing up in the wrong location when in landscape. This should be fixed now.
The Backup page now handles longer strings (used mostly in the translations) by realigning stuff slightly and you are not able to close all tabs anymore. (close button was hidden but still worked on the last opened tab)

There is a slightly ui tweak for the urlbar which now shows and loads the title of the website above the url bar with a nice animation.

Detailed Changelog
  • Set InfoBanner parent on every call (Fixes InfoBanner showing in wrong position when in landscape)
  • BackupPage Flickables ContentHeight set to column
  • Massive update for translations (more strings are translatable/translated)
  • Ignore magnet links and try to open them externally (you need an application which handles magnet links)
  • Handle webkit crashes by trying to reload the page 3 times (4th time it shows an error message instead)
  • Wrap and realign sectionheaders text on BackupPage
  • Added https://www.tagesschau.de to devicePixelRatio blacklist (avoid crashes)
  • Better devicePixelRatio Hack by also setting experimental.customLayoutWidth which loads mobile page more often directly instead of desktop page (blacklisting tagesschau.de again for this)
  • Fix only allow closing of tabs if close button is visible
  • Show webtitle when page loaded above urltext

You can find the rpm on openrepos.net

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
The latest update messes talk.maemo.org's layout. Don't you do regression tests on this most important site :-P. At least on my Jolla C Active Topics is not on the right side of the screen, but on top, and I need to scroll down to access message content.

But otherwise great update on best Sailfish browser, thank you.

I mentioned that in my release announcement above.
Don't you read those? :P

In general I am testing now a new optional text input method making it easier to input text by using a native system input page (just like old old symbian did this).

Works fine so far. Will come with an update.

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Yay, thank you so much for being so attentive to suggestions Llelectronics!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
I mentioned that in my release announcement above.
Don't you read those? :P
Haha, obviously I don't with sufficient attention to detail.

Keep up the great work!

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Small little demo video on what I have been doing to improve webcats user experience

https://youtu.be/HfzcJNgi9wY

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Update: Version 2.9.7 is out now

This version brings some improvements only in combination with the QtWebkit 5.212 that you can get from here: https://build.merproject.org/package...ml5Audio+Video

Some improvements in using webcat include the hold on close button to close all tabs (except the one empty one) aswell as a more thumb friendly landscape interface splitting bookmarks and tabs vertically instead of horizontally.
The Bookmarkbutton is now only visible when the url text is marked which makes some more room for title and url by default.
The reload button was redundant and the extraToolbar buttons got replaced with a close this tab button.
To make it easier for inputing text with native SailfishOS spellchecking + marking + copying of text a new mode allows entering native text editing page by long pressing on a textarea or input of the website.
The device Pixel Ratio Hack has been overhauled to faster and more reliably set the correct DPR.
HTML5 Audio Tag detection has been turned on and shows now also audio files in mediaBar.
The default Adblocker has been updated to use less memory and block more ads.
A fix for windows.onload function does not overwrite the sites scripting there anymore which allows some sites to run way better or at all like acid3 test or css3 test.

As usual you can find the RPMs on openrepos.net

• Long press on close button in tabview closes all tabs
  • Hide bookmarkbutton by default only show when urlbar is focussed
  • Replace reload button in extraToolbar with closeTabButton
  • Reduce spacing between BackIcon and ForwardIcon in toolbar
  • Split Bookmarkspage in 2 columns with bookmarks on the left and tabs on the right if in landscape
  • Added optional input method by long pressing on input box (opens a native input editing dialog)
  • Updated devicePixelRatioHack
  • Enable experimental.overview to better work with devicePixelRatioHack
  • Deactivated pollyfills that aren't necessary anymore (new qtwebkit 5.212 takes care of it upgrade to it if you need svg and full es6 support)
  • Save if media in MediaList is ytMedia
  • Disable HTML5 Audio & Video workarounds (qtwebkit 5.212 takes care of html5 audio + video)
  • Enable HTML5 Audio Tag detection and add to MediaList
  • Slight update of the default user agent
  • Handle onEnterFullScreen and onExitFullScreen
  • Fix Restore Backup functionality
  • Replaced old Adblocker rules with something more recent
  • Attach to window.onload instead of overwriting it (fixes some sites like acid3 test or css3 test not loading)
  • Some DevicePixelRatioHack.js optimizations
  • Added alternative webkit user agent *(used by Sailfish Browser for youtube)
  • Updated Jolla Sailfish Browser user agent

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, webbrowser