Hello,

here is a special N-Gage Prototype device.

Anybody have seen one like that before?
Attached Images

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to n950 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
it looks like a normal ngage qd with fancy body , keypad but with menu button at the wrong place .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
I had the original N-Gage. It was my first smartphone. It had some stupid design decisions (difficult to remove/change the game cards, sidetalking...) and technical limitations (I think that only one program could use the internet connection at a time so opening the web browser stopped the emails from syncing) but in general it was quite a good smartphone for it's time.

And Pathway to Glory is still the best mobile game that I have played.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
I think that only one program could use the internet connection at a time so opening the web browser stopped the emails from syncing
Wrong
The N-Gage (and all Symbian) was a truly multi-tasking OS. Yes, Web had a problem because it needed a WAP profile instead of a GPRS profile, while most other programs preferred a GPRS profile. All programs using a GPRS profile could share it.

sidetalking
Wasn't this a cool feature?

difficult to remove/change the game cards
there was a nice application, Hotswap, which allowed hotswapping. It needed you to break the tabs holding the card on the side, but works. I did that on mine, and it works perfectly well.
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=46155
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1PEqqKUuxY

Last edited by sicelo; 2017-04-06 at 11:23.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 314 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Russian Federation
Lol, every time I "enjoy" your supermaximised pics.
Never think abt making more quality pics, especially if device already shown to public?
Also, it's quite bad taste imho, to rip all information abt build/hwid/product code. IMEI hiding is more than enough.
Looks it's something like early B1 +- build. Here's B3.0 RH-47, that still have not final keypad layout.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DirkDagger For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
What a sweet memory of great moments. I really miss the High Seizure On 1st N-Gage and Creature of the Deep on N-G 2.0. After touch screen and IAP comes phone games are no longer games...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
That's QD model? Classic ftw!! Bump...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by n950 View Post
Hello,

here is a special N-Gage Prototype device.

Anybody have seen one like that before?
What a nice-looking early QD design. Any chance you still have it and want to get rid of?

The Following User Says Thank You to TimoW79 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
The most interesting N-Gage proto to me is the one that has full QWERTY keyboard, and the game pad controller hidden inside the keys.

Lovely design, it's a shame it was cancelled.

Name:  CaptureNG.JPG
Views: 1505
Size:  173.0 KB
Name:  CaptureNG2.JPG
Views: 964
Size:  118.1 KB
Name:  CaptureNG3.JPG
Views: 860
Size:  127.7 KB

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2020-12-13 at 02:22.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
The most interesting N-Gage proto to me is the one that has full QWERTY keyboard, and the game pad controller hidden inside the keys.

Lovely design, it's a shame it was cancelled.
Can you prove that this is even real? The older B 2.0 prototype already had the near-final design with the keys the way we know them. So time-wise, this one doesn't fit. Also, you can see on the second picture that the sticker is on top of another sticker. That screams "mock-up" to me - so does the whole thing itself anyway, as the N-Gage pcb was basically finished right from the start and didn't change during further prototype stages. With such a keyboard, however, a completely different pcb would have been necessary.

And why are such pictures always blurry or noisy as hell? That doesn't really help taking them for real. The first picture looks very fake already, as it has different noise patters in it and the blurryness of the keys don't fit in with the rest of the picture. That's a good sign of image manipulation. Get some proper pics of it, please. I don't think the three images are even showing the same device. Unless the person changed the location for every shot and had it holding by someone else in the second picture.

Should it be real: that's a very, very bad design. Glad we never saw something like this. No d-pad on a gaming system is a no-go and how tiny are the key..?

Last edited by TimoW79; 2020-12-13 at 09:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimoW79 For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n gage