Posts: 80 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Albania
Hello i just saw in this page
http://n8delight.blogspot.com/2014/0...light-v14.html

They are making this petition
http://www.change.org/p/nokia-corpor...he-environment

So i just thought if we can make a similar thing to request nokia to release the source code of the closed source packages for maemo
Maybe this will be as a base code for developpers

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UJKU For This Useful Post:
There is precisely ZERO chance of that happening (for Symbian or Maemo) regardless of any petition. Which is why I (and others) are working hard to reverse engineer key pieces of the N900 software stack to understand how they work and so they can be changed.
I am 99.9% done with MCE (one function is not quite there but it may not matter) and work is being done to reverse engineer the closed source pulseaudio blobs among other things.

Last edited by jonwil; 2014-10-07 at 12:06.

The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
There is a greater chance that the leader of North Korea will hold democratic elections than of Microsoft releasing any code of any sort (including header files or dev info) for ANY non-Windows-Phone Nokia hardware.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Definitely it would be extremely nice to have the blueprints/source code, but I doubt that Satya and Co. would be so generous.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beobachter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
One question. Who really now owns Symbian and Maemo (also MeeGo)? Microsoft or Nokia (not that Nokia which Microsoft purchased). Source codes, trademarks everything related to these two OS's.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
One question. Who really now owns Symbian and Maemo (also MeeGo)? Microsoft or Nokia (not that Nokia which Microsoft purchased). Source codes, trademarks everything related to these two OS's.
Yeah this was what I was going to ask. I haven't kept with MS or Nokia lately so I don't have any idea.
Not that it really matters as I don't see either company handing the source code.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Yeah this was what I was going to ask. I haven't kept with MS or Nokia lately so I don't have any idea.
Not that it really matters as I don't see either company handing the source code.
True. These petitions wont help. And i don't know about Maemo but Nokia once handed over Symbian to Accenture. They were responsible for the bug fixes and updates.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Albania
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
There is precisely ZERO chance of that happening (for Symbian or Maemo) regardless of any petition. Which is why I (and others) are working hard to reverse engineer key pieces of the N900 software stack to understand how they work and so they can be changed.
I am 99.9% done with MCE (one function is not quite there but it may not matter) and work is being done to reverse engineer the closed source pulseaudio blobs among other things.
Yeah i know and thank you for the time and the effort you make for maemo , i was just wondering that if you had the source codes you would have made maemo bugless

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
This is like stepping on the sleeping lion's tail.

All what these petitions will accomplish, if anything is to remind to MSFT to take action to bury the source code even deeper.

It is better to let MSFT forget that there ever was a threat by a desktop style, open Linux running device combining the best camera and hardware emerging as the only potential iPhone killer.

Is there anybody that believes all MSFT was after was the best hardware platform or the name of Nokia which they recently ditched?
Pureview? degraded to "just good enough" camera tech. Threat neutralized.
Naughty OS gone, hardware captured. Two birds, one stone.

Better stay under the radar and hope for a friendly, well timed source leak to happen soon.

For Symbian there might be a straw of hope in reminding certain EU politicians about their intentions in 2010 and the threat by foreign spyware OS taking the place of the Symbian OS. (post 2013 "revelations")
http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/11/0...y-survive-now/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
The SymbEOS was scrapped in 2011. And EU cancelled its 22 million funds. See http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...t_scrapped.php

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post: