Notices

Originally Posted by stevomanu View Post
ye i know what you mean ,,

Wonder if robbie has time to do a noob guide for us all ?
I'm loving BackupMenu so much that I prefer he keeps the focus on it. =]

I think that create an image is a dirty job, but ours. =]

ye your right i guess , this app is mint for even for the most noob of people, great work i must say !!

quick question but how do i flash that image file with nokia flasher ??

Last edited by stevomanu; 2010-11-02 at 22:12.

To be fair, I tnought I aready -did- a guide on the first post.

@ednunez70:
I'm currently leery of suggesting someone like you use my product. It's still not bug free, and at least one person has ended up with an unbootable system by just installing it(not sure how that could happen - bugs in bootmenu-n900).
If you do want to use it, you can make a backup now, and should be able to restore unless your rootfs is -totally- wiped. But, be warned about my previous comment - I take no responsibility if you manage to brick your system.

I would also suggest asking around, I know people have fixed the usb ports themselves - the replacement part is like $5 - and perhaps one of them would be willing to fix it for a fee.

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
just noticed that but its for linux anything for xp >?

ok will check it out .

)ust to let you know that i have done a full backup an all worked mint even my kernel settings was fine . thanks dude for all your work an help !

Last edited by stevomanu; 2010-11-03 at 01:07.

No, as it's not really possible. Best chance you'd have is trying it on your N900, or using a linux LiveCD.
(Yes, I am aware of cygwin)

Also, steve, can you use the edit button in the future? Condense your multiple posts into one, adding everything new at the bottom prefixed by 'edit:'

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Okay, so finally had a chance to install and test 0.50-3 (after a long time with MfE which seems messed up after PR 1.3). Ran perfectly though I did get one error:

/.user/.config/chromium/Singletonsocket: socket ignored

but it didn't stop the backup from finishing normally (I'm assuming).

Will definitely be donating! Thanks!

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Sure. I'm assuming you've already got multiboot 0.2.10 installed here - if not, you'll need to look up the instructions for that elsewhere (the multiboot/NITDroid/power kernel threads).

Unfortunately the only implementations of patch appear to be in the SDK repository, so rather than using the diff, just grab the patched files and save them to the MyDocs directory.

Now overwrite the existing multiboot files with the new versions:
Code:
root
cd /sbin
tar -xzf /home/user/MyDocs/multiboot_patched.tar.gz
chmod 755 multiboot multiboot_read_item
That's the patched multiboot all done, so you now just need to create a new boot item. You'll need to create a file (either on the N900, or on a desktop/laptop then copied to the N900) containing:

Move this file to /etc/multiboot.d/99-BackupMenu.item (you'll need to be root to do this).

Now when you reboot with the keyboard open, you'll get an option for BackupMenu. I think this'll work irrespective of which OS/kernel you've been booting with, but I've only tested it from the standard Maemo kernel so far.
Haven't had a chance to tackle this yet but much appreciated. One question though: you say "create a file" and then move it to .../99-BackupMenu.item. Do we name the file we create "99-BackupMenu.item"

Thanks!

The file name is "99-BackupMenu.item" and it needs to be placed into "/etc/multiboot.d/"

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
A while back I asked multiboot vs. bootmenu compatibility with this. I appreciate the replies and help I got. After digging up more information I realized that I liked the 'uboot' method better. So my other question - can bootmenu and backup menu be installed 'inside' a system already loaded from uboot? So say I flash my kernel to a combined kernel-uboot image - could I then safely install bootmenu on the Maemo OS, and avoid conflicts?

BackupMenu is just a (long and complicated) shell script. All you need to do is somehow run '/usr/share/backupmenu/BackupMenuLauncher.item' using Busybox's ash(bash'd probably work too).
It also needs access to a number of files and a couple of other commands, all listed inside the above file.

Also of note is the mostly hard-coded partition structure - rootfs is ubi0, optfs is /dev/mmblk0p1, mydocs is /dev/mmcblk0p2, and SD is /dev/mmcblk1p1. If you change partition structure, you may need to edit those names in /usr/share/BackupMenu.item.

Personally, I use bootmenu-n900, but am open to adding any changes that would make it more compatible - I'll add that multiboot file if peope think it'd help.

Edit: Note to self:
/usr/bin $ ldd flasher
libusb-0.1.so.4 => /lib/libusb-0.1.so.4 (0x4002f000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x4003e000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40050000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.3 (0x40000000)

/opt/maemo/usr/sbin $ ldd ./ubinize
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x4002f000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40041000)

/opt/maemo/usr/sbin $ ldd ./mkfs.ubifs
libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x4002f000)
liblzo2.so.2 => /usr/lib/liblzo2.so.2 (0x40047000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x4006c000)
libuuid.so.1 => /lib/libuuid.so.1 (0x400e2000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x400ee000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40100000)

Can anyone guess what I'm working on? :P

Last edited by RobbieThe1st; 2010-11-03 at 02:24.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system