Posts: 44 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Savannah, GA
Originally Posted by Reggie
If Apple can create a networking device with a 800-pixel wide screen, safari, mail, iTunes, iChat, and widgets, then it'll be a hit!
A great list of features. Add QuickTime MPEG4/H264 support (ala the Video iPod) and this potential device gives the N770 a real run for its money. That said, it might be tough for Apple to get a mobile version of OSX running on Flash memory vs. a HDD and any device that goes with an HDD is going to drive the price up.

IMO, Nokia still has a window here. I sure hope they don't stumble any more timing-wise and disappoint the waiting market they've got -- especially the rabid prerelease fan base they've cultivated basically by word of mouth alone since few of us have ever held one.

I bet it would cost around $900 or more

Originally Posted by Reggie
If Apple can create a networking device with a 800-pixel wide screen, safari, mail, iTunes, iChat, and widgets, then it'll be a hit!

Well, I went ahead and contacted the one person I feel is reliable. He's the claims dept rep I spoke with a couple of times last week. As before, he was cool and certainly more detailed than any of the sales reps I've spoken with. The latest info he has as of last night is that there is some "problem". He didn't know if it was just manufacturing quantities, some technical issue or what. But, whatever it is has caused availability to slip.

As of now, the only info they have is "mid-December". He said there is no specific date and, as such, phone reps shouldn't be giving any out. He apologized for the delay again.

Well, I guess this dashes hopes of a December 1st release...

Jeff

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Oakland, Ca
900-1000 would be worth it, considering the styling that Apple always delivers ....not to mention, keeping a promise to their customers in regards to a launch date.

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Virginia Beach, VA USA
Now wait a second people. What it says is "Current orders will not be fulfillied until January." That means, if you order today, don't expect it before January.

This might mean our orders are delayed too, but not necessarily. Don't jump to conclusions.

As of now, the only info they have is "mid-December".

Ok, I give. I called and canceled mine. If they had made any sort of commitment, I might have held on. But the endlessly changing info and unwillingness to take any responsibility for their shipping dates is too much. Add the possibility of an Apple competitor in early '06, and there wasn't any reason let Nokia keep me hanging. Better luck next year, if your device can still compete. Which sucks, as I am an avid Linux user and was really intrigued by a Linux tablet. Way to botch the launch, guys...

I stay away from Apple and ITunes. I don't like how secretive Apple is -- they keep their devoted fans in the dark and then make some big showy announcement. It makes their customers look pathetic. And I don't want iTunes DRM. I prefer to buy CDs and rip them legally than to relinguish my freedom to play my files on any player and operating system I choose within my home and mobile devices. (You do realize that once you start buying DRMd music from Apple you are committing yourself to being an Apple customer forever, right?)

Compare this to Nokia's openness with regards to the 770. For months they've provided information about it and showed the device at consumer electronics shows, allowing for some early reviews. They are sponsoring an open source project to develop the platform and are welcoming contributions and feedback from the community. I much prefer this openness.

Last edited by GenD; 2005-11-23 at 19:39.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Atlanta
If you have cancelled or plan to cancel your 770 order, please vote in the following poll:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...read.php?t=489

Wow. So many people who lust for an Apple device!

Here's some more on Nokia:

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...-mobile-gaming

Very interesting.

Originally Posted by GenD
I stay away from Apple and ITunes. I don't like how secretive Apple is -- they keep their devoted fans in the dark and then make some big showy announcement. It makes their customers look pathetic. And I don't want iTunes DRM. I prefer to buy CDs and rip them legally than to relinguish my freedom to play my files on any player and operating system I choose within my home and mobile devices. (You do realize that once you start buying DRMd music from Apple you are committing yourself to being an Apple customer forever, right?)

Compare this to Nokia's openness with regards to the 770. For months they've provided information about it and showed the device at consumer electronics shows, allowing for some early reviews. They are sponsoring an open source project to develop the platform and are welcoming contributions and feedback from the community. I much prefer this openness.
I am an Apple whore, I admit it but have been since 1984. I have two iBooks, iMacG5 and a Powerbook PLUS an Apple Airport Express home network. I love iTunes. Apple products (for the most part) "just work".... An Apple product like the 770 would be awesome. I can see it happening....