Great comment Texrat!

I don't know what others think but perhaps the simplest thing that could be done that would have an immediate impact on usability and configurability would be a single repository. I know that is what I have spent (invested, wasted!, learnt) most time trying to figure out. How to get the right repositories to install the great bit of software I have just read about on here!

In terms of getting "our" dads, mums, grans using internet tablets and to give them with something that the out of the box feel then a single place where you can see and install all the software would be great!

On another note! as a user I would like to thank everyone who has spent time and effort porting or writing applications for the n770/n800. There are some very talented and generous people out there making alot of other people's tablets better!

I'd also like to see consolidated repositories. I hope there are some people in the Maemo community who have experience with managing debian repositories, and the technical and political issues that go along with them.

Also, the recent firmware update solved a lot of the stability issues that I was having. I love this device.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by bitgeist View Post
I'd also like to see consolidated repositories. I hope there are some people in the Maemo community who have experience with managing debian repositories, and the technical and political issues that go along with them.
Seperate repositories are necessary to differentiate between classes of apps. Nokia vs 3rd party, tightly integrated vs add-ons.

Hey thanks for the response Milhouse,

I spent some time reviewing your oevre of posts to these forums, so I now have some background on your considerable user experience.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Go and read up on the OS 2006 AND OS 2007 bugs against Email, RSS, Browser, Media Player etc. in Bugzilla. Just because you aren't aware of the bugs doesn't mean they don't exist, or that I'm making them up.
I don't spend much time with those apps, so I confess that my question was born out of ignorance. My apologies. Exposure to bugs depends on usage patterns, and ours clearly differ.

a. Email clients are a waste of time for me; I use web-mail.
b. RSS is newsspam. No thanks.
c. Media Player is decent, for a bundled app, but uninteresting to me because
i. mplayer is highly mature, powerful and now uses dsp acceleration
ii. PDAs/Tablets aren't hi-fi and music libraries are a waste of mmc space.

I found it informative to discover a 2005 post of yours claiming that your 640x480 Windows PDA was left gathering dust since your acquisition of the 770. So a brand-new niche OS and application suite beat the world leading portable OS? Why did you prefer it if "The quality of the applications on Internet Tablets is very, very poor"?

I've paid $400 for the device - I expect at the very least "good" quality applications, applications that are fit for purpose which is definately not what can be said about the Email client or the RSS news reader.
Ok. I see now that those apps are frequently criticised by others.

Opera is OK, but has a number of flaws that will not be fixed because Nokia don't control the browser on *their* INTERNET TABLET device. Surely if there is one application that Nokia should have total control over, it's the browser.
I'll grant you these as well, with the reservation that I've had less problems with Nokias Opera than with the majority of browsers i've ever used.

Modern browsers have to contend with a cancerously bloated set of technologies served-up in part by broken or evil websites. Flash is monstrously inefficient technology and nobody who understands it should expect it to run well on ARM.
(edit) so... Your web browsing experience is largely determined by what kind of sites you visit.

As for UI incosistencies, read the web review of the Internet Tablet UI by Sean Luke.
Thanks for the hint. http://www.cs.gmu.edu/~sean/stuff/n800/
That's a very educational read, and he makes several valid points. But a good deal of his critique is based on the fact that maemo isn't designed from the ground-up as a PDA OS. I could make a similar comparison between my Psion Netbook and the 770, but that would be ignoring the fact that maemo is built on linux - a desktop OS.

You appear very happy with mediocre and sub-standard Nokia applications, that's fantastic, I'm very happy for you. I simply believe Nokia should do better, and the vast number of bugs in Bugzilla tend to bear this out - go read it.
I'm not a heavy user of the Nokia applications. I bought it because it was great hardware with the best ever display, ran linux and could run ports of my favorite geeky apps.

I read the reviews and learned what i was buying before I plunked down my money. Nearly every reviewer pointed out that the device did not compete with PDAs out-of-the box. This is kind of unfortunate, because a higly sophisticated PIM suite could have opened up new markets for these devices. But to be fair and realistic, the 770/800 are dirt cheap compared to tablet competitors, and for Nokia to develop best-of-breed apps in-house, from the ground up, at this price point would have required a heavy financial committment for an OS that only runs on their product. I expect they took a serious look at Apple's Newton and Psion's market failures before setting their level of investment and exposure on this venture.

If you want to know about my dealings with Nokia UK support, read the forum - I won't repeat it here.
Fair enough, but no thanks.

I knew the N800 didn't come with a case, but Nokia have been promising a case accessory for 3 months - where is it? You seem to have misunderstood the point I'm making, perhaps in your haste to respond. Try reading it again.
Fair enough. If they promised a case they should deliver one.

As for the rest of the post, I don't have the time to respond but it's clear you aren't reading this forum or Maemo bugzilla, otherwise you would be better informed.
I search bugzilla when I encounter a bug, and that's been a pleasantly rare experience. I admit to being generally uninformed about what others are saying here, but that's probably because i've spent too many years reading other forums dominated by user whining.

My view is - and in the last couple of posts, this is mainly where I'm coming from - that the future Internet Tablets should be usable by people like my Dad who know absolutely nothing about OSS alternatives.
And that class of users will buy a non-free, tightly controlled and integrated tablet from Apple, when they get around to releasing one.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-04-02 at 22:06.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Wow, where have I heard these similar discussion points about platforms, OS, and software?

I know, this very forum. http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=4953

Not to open old wounds or issue out: "I told you so's", the current status can use a bit of improvement that will appeal to the mass market. By taking the advice of a few here, I realized that I was expecting too much from the N800 and was maybe trying to get it to do things it was not designed to do right now. By adding some available software, the new GAIM as an example, and Canola, I have a pretty good mobility device that meets most of my needs. Do I need more? Of course. Hopefully between Nokia and the various communities involved, new and exciting applications will be developed that will appeal to the masses, and pure user base.

Last edited by sapporobaby; 2007-04-02 at 20:40.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Glad to see this thread getting over the ruffled feathers and back onto productive discourse... for the most part anyway. I hate to see 2 of my favorite posters in a pissing contest.

So... has anyone else started spamming other linux venues yet? I've hit a couple. And anyone have Mr. Torvald's email address? We need some big time champions to elevate the awareness (and hence support) of the tablets! Hmmm... wonder if Larry Ellision needs another quixotic quest...

EDIT: back to my original subject-- new 770 user opportunity occurs tomorrow or Wednesday, depending on a certain ops manager. Brace for impact!

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-04-02 at 21:11.

How many units are we talking about?

(edit) I talk to everybody I know about the 770 and I take it with me. Everybody assumes it's a phone cause of the Nokia name :|

As far as publicity goes, what about giving out leftover 770s to well known people in exchange for a 'celebrity endorsement'?

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-04-02 at 21:41.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Offhand I know of at least 35, because I prepped those myself. Maybe more. And of course there's always the possibility few or none are sold...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I prefer the Internet Tablet to my iPAQ because I prefer to browse the web on an 800x480 screen - having browsed on the iPAQ 640x480 screen I quickly realised it was unsatisfactory (even using Minimo) due to the feeling of being cramped. These days I would never recommend a screen size less than 800x4800 for any device with serious web surfing aspirations.

The Windows Mobile devices are more polished in look & feel than the Internet Tablets - the apps that Microsoft ships with the devices generally work quite well, within their limitations. Some of the Nokia apps simply don't work, which is not acceptable. The Nokia software QA is simply not up to scratch. Email doesn't work, and certain new features on the N800 RSS news reader have rendered it worthless, and that's before we get onto the other serious bugs in that app (such as deleting entire feed settings for no apparent reason).

"Rough edges" is what I'm talking about, the Internet Tablet software offering has too many of them.

I do find it perplexing that Nokia have gone with a closed source browser when Nokia already offer their own browser on Symbian (S60 browser based on WebKit, apparently very good) and have financially funded the development of Minimo to the tune of several million dollars. The focus of the Internet Tablets is web browsing, yet Nokia have given responsibility for this critical application to a third party and Nokia seem to have no direct control over the browser and it's flaws due to licensing issues. This seems a risky and bizarre approach given the alternatives they could have pursued (maybe they will in future - lets hope so).

I agree about Flash, maybe the situation will improve with Flash 9 but OSS alternatives to Flash aren't quite as advanced as the browsers so there is no real choice but to go with a Adobe implementation. Maybe in a couple more years OSS will be in better shape.

I'm not sure if Linux has anything to do with the UI discrepencaies that Sean Luke is highlighting - the UI is based on Hildon which Nokia have developed, admittedly on top of Linux but it could just as easily have been on top of any other OS, it's just the UI layer. With tighter control and better UI guidelines the UI could/should be more consistent across applications (certainly the Nokia provided applications). It's not as consistent as it could be, and can be improved.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
And that class of users will buy a non-free, tightly controlled and integrated tablet from Apple, when they get around to releasing one.
But there's no reason why they shouldn't consider a Nokia Internet Tablet when they want something that "just works, and works well". With some effort spent smoothing out the rough edges, the Internet Tablets can be made to be just as user friendly as an Apple tablet would be without sacrificing the geek factor for those who still want it. We know Apple have achieved this already for Unix on the desktop and if Apple turn their attention to tablets with a similar form factor to the Nokia, my complaints about poor software quality won't simply have been a user whining, they will have been a user prophecising!

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Tada: http://www.axiotron.com/

The ModBook or TableMac