Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
- gotcha...

- the .iso image could be on an external USB CD or thumb drive, or resident on an internal card...

- in my case, what i basically did for the 'mini' outlined in this thread first post was to download the .tgz (gzip'd tar) or .zip archives, then extract the folder containing the thousands of files and copy the folder to a SDHC in my n800

- the larger, 830mb version is from a different source, but i followed the same approach...

- however, IIRC, if you load the appropriate kernel module and install the mount command, you *should* be able to mount an iso image onto the IT's filesystem (Nokia uses /media), like one does normally under a *nix system... i.e.:

mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 cdimage.iso /media/cdrom

- however, setting up one's n800 to accomplish this requires a number of steps (others may want to chime in here about workarounds or a current status on using other filesystems on the IT, such as ext2, and kernel module support for other filesystems)

- as mentioned earlier, sdictviewer is another option; simply get the app installed (requires python2.5-runtime), then download a single wiki.dict file to your storage card and you have wiki...

- i prefer the browser as my interface to a small wiki (but i do use sdictviewer with its Merriam-Webster dictionary; alternatively, i use maemoTK w/a simple tkdict client for on-line word lookups - but i digress)

:-)

hope this helps!

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I am dling the big file .iso 2.93 G. It is common in emule. I do not know bitorrent or seeding. Once I get a copy, I will get you one. I like this idea very much. I will try to do the sdict, I think it is the most straight forward comparing to the others. Your mounting using the iso9660, one do have to install the USB host mode, or it comes with the chinook?

I will post once I get a full copy of the 2.93G, its going v slow, just 700 MB so far, probably take a couple of day, what the hack...

bun

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I will try to do the sdict, I think it is the most straight forward comparing to the others. Your mounting using the iso9660, one do have to install the USB host mode, or it comes with the chinook?
- note: you *must* use the sdict version of the wiki (for your language), as only sdict-format will work with sdictviewer... see:

http://sdict.com/en/wikipedia.php

- the iso version works with any web browser (AFAIK)...

- host mode is not required *if* you copy the .iso onto an SDHC card...

- but yes, host mode is required if you want to: read off a usb-cdrom drive, usb thumbdrive, etc.

have a happy!

The Following User Says Thank You to linux_author For This Useful Post:
Thank you all!! this is something that I really want on my N800. Since I haven't installed it yet, which version (browser/sdict) is better to view it? read from?

Originally Posted by superstar View Post
Thank you all!! this is something that I really want on my N800. Since I haven't installed it yet, which version (browser/sdict) is better to view it? read from?
- there is only sdictviewer for viewing offline (local) dict data:

http://sdictviewer.sourceforge.net/

- for using a remote dict (such as for word lookups, quick translation, try tkdict or one of the cross-platform clients... see:

http://www.dict.org/links.html

- AFA the wiki html folders, just use opera (os2007) or microb (os2008)... both work well enough for my purposes (n8x0 YouTube viewers will want to use microb under os2008, of course)...

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Germany
Hi there,

and thanks for this interesting thread.

Did anybody try a completely different approach by using fbreader
http://www.fbreader.org/downloads.php
to display the (German) download versions in mobipocket format?

For example
http://www.salat.cc/index.php?section=docsys

I'd install fbreader and try - unfortunately I don't have a big enough miniSD-card availableat the moment (for my N810).

EDIT:
I found a site with older versions and downloaded one of 47 MB in a *.zip file.
Result: fbreader seems to read all contents of a file before displaying it. At least that's what I figure, because fbreader spent the last 5 minutes opening the file, using all CPU and memory resources of my N810 in the process.
OK - my suggestion doesn't work.

Now I'll have to look into mounting *.iso files.

Cheers

Franko30

Last edited by Franko30; 2008-01-20 at 00:40.

You can use Daemon Tool Lite to read the ISO images and then just copy the contents to the external/internal cards.

In my opinion, if the wiki distribution you pick uses iso distribution (instead of tar.gz or other archive), then you best options are to copy the iso directly to nokia and either mount it or extract it. While you -could- mount iso on desktop and copy files over to mmc that might be slower than just extracting straight from device (possible ssh or usb delays between files... and theres probably 50,000 files in the first kiwi/iso distribution). Although to be honest the one time i had to do this i just copied all the files and it took a long time, so this is how i'd do it now

To extract iso :
with the iso on the mmc just install my build of isomaster on nokia which lets you open and extract the iso on the device itself.

-or-

To mount directly on device, you will need two things installed (becomeroot or easyroot and penguinbaits cdrom driver) with those installed :
open xterm and in your /home/user directory create a subdirectory called wiki using mkdir wiki command.
You can then sudo gainroot and mount /media/mmc/kiwi.iso /home/user/wiki

And then you just browse file:/// in microb drill down into home/user/wiki and load index page.

Last edited by pipeline; 2008-01-20 at 02:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to pipeline For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
If the .iso file after mounting onto my mmc, is readable and searchable, why would one want to extract it and costing storage space? faster?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question

bun

People who are inexperienced with root or xterm can use the isomaster utility and never have to know workings of mount. The only waste of space is just after extracting when you have both copies... but you can just delete the iso after that like it was just a zip. iso9660 files dont do any compression afaik

Mount is better solution, but you need to do after each reboot or somehow put mount script in /etc/init.d to automount and sudoers it (i think) maybe someone else can tell better way to automount