Hey all,

I have not yet updated to the newest firmware yet, after hearing of all the problems with it;

I want to know if anybody has founds if running Kismet, Aircrack and Metasploit is any better or worse,?

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
As far as I heard Metasploit is all broken... Kismet runs better, air-crack is possible with the open source driver....

But ill be interested on other "real" users input.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Marlow, Bucks
Metasploit seems to work for me - in console or command line mode. I haven't noticed any difference since the firmware upgrade.

Seri@ldie - what do you mean about the open source driver? I haven't heard of this. Could you possibly elaborate? Thanks!

Kismet still seems to time out, i.e., it stops gathering packets, but the channel hopping still continues. The timeout is variable, but between 2 and 10-15 minutes.

I've tried the following:
1. Increase display timeout, (to over an hour) seemed to work once, I got my 10-15 minute value with a high display timeout.
2. Start associated with an AP (WPA2-PSK, my own home network). Doesn't seem to make any difference.
3. Start unassociated with any AP, also no difference.
4. Start associated with a "Dummy" IAP. Not sure if this makes a difference or not, as I did this about the same time as I increased the display timeout.

So, it looks like power management is putting the chipset into a low-power mode, but not turning it clear off. I've looked through gconf to try and find a way to change that value, but don't see anything obvious. Any suggestions for getting more time out of it?

Originally Posted by SeRi@lDiE View Post
As far as I heard Metasploit is all broken... Kismet runs better, air-crack is possible with the open source driver....

But ill be interested on other "real" users input.

SeRi@lDiE:
Can you post a link to the open source driver to use with air-crack, I've search both this forum and other and can't find them.....

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
From what I heard this driver works...

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/cx3110x/

Hi,

look at this thread

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...3743#post43743

It's already compiled, and it works very well.

bye
scegliau

Scegliau - thanks for your response.

The discussion you link to suggests that Kismet still has problems even using this driver but actually I am more interested in packet injection using aireplay-ng. Does this driver support this? I would try it out for myself but this brings me on to my second question:

The link for instructions on inserting it goes to a garage page with the CX3110X driver are not that clear. From what I can gather it's necessary to:

copy your module to device
rmmod umac.ko and cx3110x.ko
insmod umac.ko and your cx3110.ko
chroot /mnt/initfs /usr/bin/wlan-cal

As someone with limited Linux this is somewhat unclear to me. Does anyone know what the correct series of commands would be to achieve this?

I am tempted to try
rmmod umac.ko
rmmod cx3110.ko
# which presumable removes these modules (what is umac.ko)
# then
insmod umac.ko #where is umac.ko. Do I need to specify a path?
insmod cx3110.ko (presumabaly the new version)
# what is wlan-cal?

Anyone have any guidance. I am loath to try this and find I have bu**ered up my system. Any help from someone who knows what they are doing gratefully received!

Read this:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...velopers/18776

The sequence has to be:

rmmod cx3110x
insmod /path/to/driver/cx3110x.ko

I tried to inject packets with the self-compiled driver, but I've never been able to inject.

bye
Scegliau

Thanks!

As a matter of interest, is this reversible. IE, if it has unexpected or unwanted effects, can I remove the module and reinsert the original?

If so, how would one do that.

My guess would be something like:
rmmod cx3110x.ko
insmod cx3110x # (where would this original be found?)

Thanks again!