Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
Search.....Loose......broken....damaged....USB.

The problems there match many of your symptoms.

OK. I guess i will have to take it to the repair shop, thanks again.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
OK. I guess i will have to take it to the repair shop, thanks again.
Same thing happened to me yesterday, plug in the USB lead and I get the orange light for a while, plug the wall charger in, nothing.

After some messing around with the multimeter, I'd say your problem is the same as mine (and 2000 other people) - broken USB / Charging port. In my case it was a dry solder joint on one side that allowed a very tiny (almost imperceptible) amount of movement to occur.

The solution for me is to go to the cell phone market and finally visit one of those people that annoy you with "You want cell phone repair sir?" - they all have heat guns, I'm sure one of them can fix it :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
-Update-

Well, i left my phone at the phone repair store and after a few days of examination they concluded that the hardware part is functioning fine and they want to reflash the device.

I told them that i want to make a backup first so i will take my phone, boot it up with a charged battery and perform a backup if possible.

Since they say the only solution is reflashing, after i perform a backup i plan to do it myself.
Can the the N900 be flashed from its command line and if so, how? I don't see any other options except some dedicated expensive hardware those stores might use since the USB is not being detected.

Thanks.

i get this when im [failing] trying to hold the usb in steady enough to flash [ due to my usb not being attached to my phone] flashes yellow and turns off damn phone i will fix you!

gav

I thought its a bad usb connection as well, but the repair shop said the hardware is fine.

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
hi,

i'm experiencing nearly the same problems:

1. wall charger was detected stating "battery is charging". after some time (not moving the device) it wasn't loading anymore. now it's not even detecting the charger when only pluging it in.

2. moving the device or charger cable it's switching back and forth between "battery is charging" and "charger disconnected". and the led is shortly flickering red when doing so.

3. connecting it to my pc via the original usb cable it's loading just fine. even when i move the cable or phone.

4. when loaded via pc cable the battery lasts very long. so it's not a broken battery problem. (right?)

so i thought that maybe the wall charger connector is broken and bought a new (original) nokia charger. i plugged it into the phone and had the same problems as described above.

now i think that my usb port on my n900 is slightly broken.
but then... why is the usb cable on my pc is working fine while both wall chargers are failing?!

next thing i will do is getting a closer look at the connectors. and maybe playing around with them.

@b666m
My device had nearly the same symptoms before my usb port completely died. The day after this started, I could wiggle the port side to side. After all not a good sign. Sorry.

I think Nokias broken BME might have some responsibility in this issue, add to that, CSSU, Multiboot, Meego and whatnot.

Like i said, the phone repair shop said the hardware is fine and that reflashing might solve the issue but my phone doesn't detect the USB, so, how do i reflash the device without using the cable?
The device works normal when i insert a charged battery, except it drains it really fast and heats up a bit.

It wouldn't hurt to check out the connections, at least you would know if its a hardware or apparently a software problem like mine.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
Same thing happened to me yesterday, plug in the USB lead and I get the orange light for a while, plug the wall charger in, nothing.

After some messing around with the multimeter, I'd say your problem is the same as mine (and 2000 other people) - broken USB / Charging port. In my case it was a dry solder joint on one side that allowed a very tiny (almost imperceptible) amount of movement to occur.

The solution for me is to go to the cell phone market and finally visit one of those people that annoy you with "You want cell phone repair sir?" - they all have heat guns, I'm sure one of them can fix it :-)
Lolz...yeah that's very common here in the Philippines. Hope you're enjoying your stay! Though they seem annoying, it's an enjoyable experience...a lot of "repair" stuff here are...how shall I say it...more "convenient" here. It's just a matter of getting a local person to join you so that they won't take advantage. Where are you in the Philippines right now?