Active Topics

The N810, with a price around US$479, has built-in maps and satellite navigation for getting directions, a high-resolution camera, instant messaging, and a 10-gigabyte memory card that stores up to 7,500 songs in compressed format. It's cool for the little device.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
BZZZZT! Wrong!

There is no 10GB memory card. There's a 2GB internal with an external slot that can take up to 8GB. The camera is not high resolution either (though apparently better than the N800's.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
I hope the camera chip is the same, so that, maybe, the improvement are all software side

Originally Posted by kimh View Post
The N810, with a price around US$479, has built-in maps and satellite navigation for getting directions, a high-resolution camera, instant messaging, and a 10-gigabyte memory card that stores up to 7,500 songs in compressed format. It's cool for the little device.
Not to nitpick but the maps are for directions, the satellites are for the GPS. Is there really a "new" instant messaging feature? The 10Gb is not a single memory card but the combined total of the 2Gb internal memory and the 8Gb miniSD that you can put in the slot. Someday 32Gb miniSD cards will probably be available. Hopefully, as the format becomes more common the price goes down. SD used to be wayyyy more expensive than CF, but now it is pretty comparable.

Last I checked SD had actually dropped down below CF for the same capacity.

PC Mag's first look says the IM is not "multi-platform", so I'm assuming its still just google (but that's what pidgen or meebo is for )

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by jeffreytz View Post
PC Mag's first look says the IM is not "multi-platform", so I'm assuming its still just google (but that's what pidgen or meebo is for )
It's Jabber... which means Google Talk, Gizmo, LiveJournal and others... and with the right Jabber server, you get AIM/MSN/Yahoo/etc... as well which is what I do.

Also, the 2GB of internal memory is mostly occupied by the map data.
There's likely only a few hundred meg free.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by jeffreytz View Post
Yes, as zerojay says, it's not meebo or pidgen . . . it's Jabber transports. Using the built-in Jabber client is both fun and easy! Just find yourself a Jabber server that supports transports for the protocols you need, set it up on a computer (using something like Psi), then enter the account info into your IT and away you go. Works like a charm.

Also, RTCOMM beta supports stuff like avatars and showing status messages in the contact list which Pidgin still can't do right. IT2008 should have RTCOMM final so... yeah.. it only gets better from here.