Active Topics

Lots of places have web access that requires you to accept their wireless usage policy on a webpage that they divert you to when you open your browser. Until you've done that you can't access the web, though you are connected to their wireless system.

With the Internet Tablet I'm not diverted to this screen and instead, just get an error message saying the address I've entered isn't found. Is there a way to have the browser diverted to these sites like it would on a laptop so I can accept the terms and gain web access?

Last edited by ImDisaster; 2007-09-18 at 12:06.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by ImDisaster View Post
Lots of places have web access that requires you to accept their wireless usage policy on a webpage that they divert you to when you open your browser. Until you've done that you can't access the web, though you are connected to their wireless system.

With the Internet Tablet I'm not diverted to this screen and instead, just get an error message saying the address I've entered isn't found. Is there a way to have the browser diverted to these sites like it would on a laptop so I can accept the terms and gain web access?
Does this happen with any hotspot you attempt to connect to? If so, maybe you need to check your settings in your browser (Maybe you're blocking cookies?)

I've accessed hotspots in airports and in hotels and the only problem I have had is that the original web link I was attempting to go to gets "lost" during the registration and I have to re-enter it after registering.

I've even taken to bringing along a Linksys WRT54G on my business trips so that I can use my N800 in my hotel room. Usually, wireless is only available in the lobby. I plug the ethernet cable in the room into the WAN port of the router, connect with my N800 and the hotel's hotspot page is waiting for me. (As a side note, going through airport security gets really interesting when your carryon bag includes a WRT54G, a cell phone, a bluetooth headset, an N800, a GPS, and several "wall warts", depending on how long the trip is! )

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Maybe this is related to HTTP referer information, which the browser doesn't send by default. This is how you turn it on: http://maemo.org/community/wiki/enablerefererinopera/

Other possibilities are that you have cookies or JavaScript turned off. Or then the login page just isn't working with Opera.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm using the MicroB browser engine and have the following settings:

1. Accept cookies (always)
2. Enable SSL2 (not checked)....would this make a difference?
3. Use default home page (not checked)
4. Enable automatic redirection (checked)
5. Enable java script (checked)
6. Enable pop up windows (always)
7. Memory cache (1024)...not that this effects it but what do you set this to? Will I see a performance improvement if I increase this?

Thanks again.

I never had any problem with such sites (e.g. T-Mobile, and many others). I access them exactly as I would on my laptop: Connect to hotspot, then fire up a browser at any URL (on the N800 I usually just hit 'tableteer' because it's right there in the bookmarks). Then I'll get redirected to the login page, and after going through whatever hoops they want me to go through the other networking services (e.g. email, skype, gtalk) start working. As with the laptop.

IIRC some people reported some problems with a particular type of hotspots+N800.. was it BT Openzone or something like that?

And lastly, there's some software out there (mentioned here on the forum several times) which can automate access to sites with login screens.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
Does this happen with any hotspot you attempt to connect to? If so, maybe you need to check your settings in your browser (Maybe you're blocking cookies?)

I've accessed hotspots in airports and in hotels and the only problem I have had is that the original web link I was attempting to go to gets "lost" during the registration and I have to re-enter it after registering.

I've even taken to bringing along a Linksys WRT54G on my business trips so that I can use my N800 in my hotel room. Usually, wireless is only available in the lobby. I plug the ethernet cable in the room into the WAN port of the router, connect with my N800 and the hotel's hotspot page is waiting for me. (As a side note, going through airport security gets really interesting when your carryon bag includes a WRT54G, a cell phone, a bluetooth headset, an N800, a GPS, and several "wall warts", depending on how long the trip is! )
Why are you lugging around a big wrt54g? Why not use the WTR54gs pocket router or one from Apple?

Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
Why are you lugging around a big wrt54g? Why not use the WTR54gs pocket router or one from Apple?
Third party firmware.

My carry-on usually has two laptops, their power adapters, several wifi antenna, half a dozen wifi cards, a network tester, cd case, gps, cell phone, extra keyboard. Plus some "normal" office supplies. I usually take up the whole conveyor belt when I pull everything out to be scanned.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Thanks again.

It connected, but couldn't find any websites for a free wifi I ran into in Royal Oak, Mi. The wifi network was called "Free Public Wifi." The local county is installing free wifi over all of Oakland county over the next few years and I thought I might have run into one of the hubs.

http://www.oakgov.com/wireless/faq/

Here is a clue that I wasn't connected to this new network. It says "Wireless Oakland network will be named Wireless Oakland" so I'm not sure who's network I connected to. The area I was in sound's like it should be covered in the first phase which is nearing completion.

"The installation of the wireless network has been broken out into two phases. The first phase includes portions of the following seven communities: Troy, Birmingham, Royal Oak, Madison Heights, Wixom, Oak Park and Pontiac. In these areas the technology and build-out procedures will be piloted. The total area to be covered equates to approximately 18 square miles and service will be provided to approximately 75,000 residents. "

Seem to recall another failure too...but can't remember where that was.

I'll try a Panera bread the next time I'm in there. They have a webpage approval screen.

I also saw a web screen at a Starbucks but don't plan on paying for mobile web access because I have that through my Treo.

Last edited by ImDisaster; 2007-09-18 at 16:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to ImDisaster For This Useful Post:
"Free Public Wifi" is essentially a "viral" network. If you notice, it's an ad-hoc connection, meaning someone's computer is broadcasting that SSID. Google for it, and there was also a thread on this forum.

On your original topic, if you don't get the page, try going to the default gateway address (type route -n in a terminal, if it's not obvious what it is). This will often bring up the right page. In opera, you'd enter http://10.20.30.40, or whatever the gateway address is. Other options are <iprange>.1 or <iprange>.255

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
Two reasons: The first was as a "proof of concept"...I wanted to see if it could be done.

The second reason: The big wrt54g is already paid for.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson