Notices

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
I think the accelerometer should be used sparingly as best, I already laugh too much when I see iPod Touch users that look like they are trying to give their iPod a happy ending
Sure it looks funny, but man is it fun.

Tim

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
mouse + keyboard + usb hub (or bluetooth!) = FRAG TIME!

I have played quake II on the n810 this way, and with 3D it should render in full 800 x 480.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Quake3 works in the N900 and is quite spectacular. I coud write a lot but I prefer to keep the juice for the developers in-house that did this just for fun. They have a demo in the Maemo Summit, on Friday afternoon.

I will let them know about this thread just in case they haven't noticed already.

And indeed, the problem for a full release are the data files. If someone has a good and easy solution we are interested (including contacting the developers with something more casual and direct than a corporate email sent to the mailbox in their website.

The experience is quite good, so perhaps they are indeed interested.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
please publish the souce code now. It can be probably used to make openarena and other FOSS games using quake3 or ioquake3 engine available for N900.

So solution for quake3 datafiles is not use them.

Last edited by mikkov; 2009-09-16 at 02:50.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Quake3 works in the N900 and is quite spectacular. I coud write a lot but I prefer to keep the juice for the developers in-house that did this just for fun. They have a demo in the Maemo Summit, on Friday afternoon.

I will let them know about this thread just in case they haven't noticed already.

And indeed, the problem for a full release are the data files. If someone has a good and easy solution we are interested (including contacting the developers with something more casual and direct than a corporate email sent to the mailbox in their website.

The experience is quite good, so perhaps they are indeed interested.
How about Open Arena http://openarena.ws/

It's based on q3 engine I believe and free

EDIT: MIKKOV beat me to it,
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Until now this has been the hobby work done by a couple of really busy guys in the Core team. I know they are still working on functionality and stability. I wouldn't be surprised if they want to wait until the Summit demo to release their work.

No need to insist about the goodness of openness since they are free software developers themselves.

Note that product managers or any business role were totally out of this pet project. All the merits go for the developers.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Open Arena's good, but please make sure that we can use our original Quake 3 data files as well.

Can't wait to try it out at Summit.

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Unless I'm mistaken Quake 3 engine is open sourced, but the game itself isn't so you probably can't include the full game datafiles.
But including the demo version datafiles shouldn't be a problem?

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Unless I'm mistaken Quake 3 engine is open sourced, but the game itself isn't so you probably can't include the full game datafiles.
But including the demo version datafiles shouldn't be a problem?
yea..and everyone can put in full game files if they have the game...

Quake III running on the OpenPandora, a game console with Linux running on the same hardware as the N900

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsclX...layer_embedded