Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Thanks PB. I was not aware that the use of a linux swap file was independent from the use of Virtual Memory in Maemo. So I should disabled virtual memory if I want to use a swap partition in the way you describe?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
Thanks PB. I was not aware that the use of a linux swap file was independent from the use of Virtual Memory in Maemo. So I should disabled virtual memory if I want to use a swap partition in the way you describe?

That is correct!
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
....I have been searching for a way to trim down the size...

I looked at Xdialog, gdialog, kdialog, ssd, zenity, getgui, which are all gui menu kits like zenity in this package.

None of these are working for me or have so many deps its it ends up huge....

Thoughts suggestions ideas comments ???
Just a question; Have you looked into gxmessage, the tiny little dialog app compiled by Bundyo a while ago? I've used it in Easy Debian a few places. It is less than 40kb, with no (extra) dependencies. The main down-side of gxmessage is that it is very limited in what it can display. Basically, you have a text box and some buttons along the bottom. If you can do what you need to do with that (and I actually think you can in many places, but there are some important places that you might not be able to), then you're good

Last edited by qole; 2008-11-30 at 07:54.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Just a question; Have you looked into gxmessage, the tiny little dialog app compiled by Bundyo a while ago? I've used it in Easy Debian a few places. It is less than 40kb, with no (extra) dependencies. The main down-side of gxmessage is that it is very limited in what it can display. Basically, you have a text box and some buttons along the bottom. If you can do what you need to do with that (and I actually think you can in many places, but there are some important places that you might not be able to), then you're good
Well this will be a menu driven in console, and it works well, and even works well through ssh which is great. The partitioning tool works also from the console, and is just as functional as gparted. I even used it to recover a partition I accidentally removed "rescue" I am adding the ability to do incremental backups which is working well, it makes about a 1.9MB tar if there have been no changes.. I almost have everything rewritten, I am almost done with the backups, after that I have to rewrite the restore to handle the incremental backups and rewrite the bootmenu to use new tools. I may add additional gui menus again but for now this is working very nice small and clean.

Its been very quiet in here, I am still listening for any input you may have.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Its been very quiet in here, I am still listening for any input you may have.
One of the problems I had when I tried your tools was that you offer compression, but then you only offer the relatively "fat" gzip compression; so I just fell back to my own little backup command which uses the "slimmer" bzip2. If you're going to take the big hit for compressing, you might as well compress it as well as you can.

But I like the graphical tools, I agree that it is bizarre that there is no small package that can make GUI widgets from the command line...

I will not be updating install-tools, bootmenu-installer or mgmt-tools any longer. install-tools will not be updated to support 43-7. mgmt-tools in theory should work if you update initfs flasher from the menu. I have not tested it. I am only supporting console-tools from here on out.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...238#post251238

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
I will not be updating install-tools, bootmenu-installer or mgmt-tools any longer. install-tools will not be updated to support 43-7. mgmt-tools in theory should work if you update initfs flasher from the menu. I have not tested it. I am only supporting console-tools from here on out.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...238#post251238

Hello ALL.
CAN somebody please help downgrade my system....I really want to get my system booted from my SD card.

MY next project is a PSP.

Originally Posted by crasbelize View Post
Hello ALL.
CAN somebody please help downgrade my system....I really want to get my system booted from my SD card.

MY next project is a PSP.

You can use console-tools with the latest OS

http://internettablettalk.com/forums...=console-tools