Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
OK, I want to make sure I understand.

Let's say I do a backup of the flash's filesystem today. Then, tomorrow, I want to boot from an SD that is exactly similar to how my flash is set up today. Must the SD that I want to be a replica of today's flash already be bootable before I do this restore? That is, must the SD already have a filesystem that is then replaced by the filesystem that I backed up? Or is there one step to move from a clean SD to a bootable SD that is essentially a replica of the original flash?

A couple of other notes: I was confused on several dialogs that I think had "Text" as their heading. I wasn't sure at first if these ialogs were reporting progress, or just giving me information that, once read, I should click OK to proceed. It turned out that I was supposed to click OK. So it might help others if the instructions for moving through the steps were a bit more explicit. Relatedly, although the progress bar shows a full blue progress line when a process has finished, the text continues to say something like "Working..." (I can't remember what). So I wasn't sure if I should click OK, or wait for it to stop "working".

These are minor things, and my unclarity is mostly *MY* unclarity about filesystems and such. Thanks for your hard work......and patience!

#1 In order to clone or restore, the filesystem you are overwriting must exist. Use gparted (Partition editor) to create your filesystems. My menus will allow you to format them, but they must exist prior to running mgmt-tools. There is no one step process. Use gparted to create filesystems, preferrably #1 FAT , #2 ext2 or 3, #3 then perhaps a swap partition. My tools allow you to have many partitions on one SD card. You could have 6 bootable images from 1 SD card easily. Once the clone is complete then you must install bootmenu.
I know its not a 1 button push, but its 10000% more reliable and very configurable.

Partitioning rules
Always make first partition on card FAT (any size), this is the filesystem that is seen by maemo (internal and external SD) /media/mmc1 and media/mmc2
I try to place my swap partiton on the opposite card if possible, not the card I will be booting from saves on I/O contention

#2 you can always click close or ok as soon as they appear. Just NEVER click cancel unless you want to abort. If you click ok and its not done nothing will happen.

FAT is the filesystem type used by default on SD cards, in order to boot from them you need an ext2 or ext3 partition.

ext2 and ext3 are linux filesystems and are required for booting from SD

SWAP partiton is needed to use swap or virtual memory can be used. ("Virtual Memeory" Try to enable it on the card your not booting from, and remember this will sit on the FAT partiton so make sure its big enough for your virtual memory)

jffs2 This is the partition used by Flash. This will always be jffs2.

You can clone directly from jffs2 to ext2/3 and from ext2/3 to jffs2
flash device shows up as /dev/mtdblock4

SD cards show up as
/dev/mmcblk0 (Base card)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 (p1 is the first partition and should be FAT)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 (would be your first ext2/3 partition) and depending on how many partitions it could go from mmcblk0p1-7

These are the internal and external SD cards
mmcblk0
and
mmcblk1

Hopefully some of this helps?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Hopefully some of this helps?
It ALL helps. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gbgb View Post
When installing mgmt-tools on diablo I get the following conflict:

dpkg: error processing mgmt-tools.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libmagic.so.1.0.0', which is also in package libmagic1

I think the midnight commander package depends on libmagic1.
Updated to remove the conflict with libmagic version 1.0.0.9, both link have been updated
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by cgdel View Post
Managed to install your library and libcario2 but libnotify1 is only installable for OS2008.

http://penguinbait.com/2007libs.tar
Probably should have been named 2008libs.tar, but I digress. If you can get it working I will make a second deb for 2007OS, or maybe just an addon deb...

This contains

libnotify.so.1
libnotify.so.1.1.2
libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.1600.4
ibcairo.so.2
libcairo.so.2.11.5

open xterm

sudo su -

cd /

tar xvf /path/to/2007libs.tar

good luck let me know whats next?

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-11-24 at 17:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Updated to remove the conflict with libmagic version 1.0.0.9, both link have been updated
Ok, but now getting a conflict with the 'file' package:

Unpacking mgmt-tools (from mgmt-tools.deb) ...
trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/file', which is also in package file

The Following User Says Thank You to gbgb For This Useful Post:

OK, I see I have a link at /usr/bin/file, I think I can fix this, give me 10min

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-11-24 at 17:57.

Updated to remove the conflict with /usr/bin/file version 1.0.1.1 both links have been updated

Success!!

I used gparted to establish partitions on clean external 2gb sd that were symmetrical to my standard cloned internal sd. Then I used management tools to clone from internal to external. Then bootmenu update. Then successful reboot from newly cloned external. Amazing. Bravo!

Now I will try cloning clean flash to the external, backing up the internal, and then restoring the internal's backup to relatively clean external. This is fun!

The Following User Says Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
Say, what exactly a "scale value" and how do I know which to choose while I'm writing a new bootmenu?

Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
Say, what exactly a "scale value" and how do I know which to choose while I'm writing a new bootmenu?
Sorry its not real intuitive

This is the default timeout value for bootmenu 0-60

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post: