Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
NOT FOR USE ON 43-7 or above - NO LONGER BEING UPDATED may work has not been tested, no longer being updated

I have put together a set of scripts with gui menus to clone and backup/restore Flash and SD partitions. (Note I have only tested this on 2008 Firmware 36-5 on an 810, please report any issues)

Please be patient, some menus may take 30-60 seconds to reappear depending on the number of partitions available.

Clone
Allows you to clone from SD/Flash/USB Disk to SD/Flash/USB Disk

Remove
Allows you to mount another bootable partition and remove a install package via dpkg. Great for recovery after installing something you shouldn't have.

Bootmenu
  • Install
    Allows you to pick from a list of ext2/ext3 partitions, and allows you to set timeout from 0-60 seconds
  • Upgrade
    Downloads initfs_flasher.tgz from Fanoush website and extracts it for use. Hopefully this will save me work when the next version comes out.
  • Boot
    Set default boot device
  • FSCK-ON
    Enable Filesystem checking when you boot to flash and play a wav when complete (will fsck all ext2/3 partitions) (DEFAULT IS DISABLED)
  • FSCK-OFF
    Disable Filesystem checking when you boot to flash (if you have enabled it)

Backup

Allows you to backup from SD/Flash/USB Disk to SD/Flash/USB Disk

Restore
Allows you to restore from SD/Flash/USB Disk to SD/Flash/USB Disk

Swap
Select partition to enable swap on, and select which swap device to use.
(If booting from mmcblk0 I put swap on mmcblk1 and vice verse)

USB

Toggle USB support HOST/OTG and Check its status

NOTE THESE TAKE UP ABOUT 22MB FROM FLASH
(About 35MB on boot from SD) (Be sure you have enough free space to install them) Sorry its kinda big, but its worth it.

PREREQ
MUST HAVE GPARTED-HACK INSTALLED
gparted is used to partition the SD/USB Disk
http://penguinbait.com/gparted-hack.deb
http://tablethacker.com/software/gparted-hack.deb
Note gparted can not partition ANY sd cards if you are booted to an SD. It can still partition external disk though.

INSTALL MGMT-TOOLS
http://penguinbait.com/mgmt-tools.deb
http://tablethacker.com/software/mgmt-tools.deb

Please take backups of anything important before doing anything crazy. As long as you have a tar backup from mgmt-tools you can recover.

Also No booting from USB disk yet, maybe some day. This could be rewritten and cleaned up a lot more, but it works and if I don't release I will be playing forever. I can easily add more functionality with just more scripting in the future. I am looking forward to the comments??? This represents a weeks work of all my spare time, and a pissed off wife Hope you enjoy it..

Please let me know about any bugs or problems??

PS, I accept thanks below, or cash donations at my website

------------------------------------------------------------
Additional possibly usefull inforamtion (based on questions from lm2)
------------------------------------------------------------
#1 In order to clone or restore, the filesystem you are overwriting must exist. Use gparted (Partition editor) to create your filesystems. My menus will allow you to format them, but they must exist prior to running mgmt-tools. There is no one step process. Use gparted to create filesystems, preferrably #1 FAT , #2 ext2 or 3, #3 then perhaps a swap partition. My tools allow you to have many partitions on one SD card. You could have 6 bootable images from 1 SD card easily. Once the clone is complete then you must install bootmenu.
I know its not a 1 button push, but its 10000% more reliable and very configurable. (no more reboot and pray )

Partitioning rules
Always make first partition on card FAT (any size), this is the filesystem that is seen by maemo (internal and external SD) /media/mmc1 and media/mmc2
I try to place my swap partiton on the opposite card if possible, not the card I will be booting from saves on I/O contention

#2 you can always click close or ok as soon as they appear. Just NEVER click cancel unless you want to abort. If you click ok and its not done nothing will happen.

Additional Info---------------

FAT is the filesystem type used by default on SD cards, in order to boot from them you need an ext2 or ext3 partition.

ext2 and ext3 are linux filesystems and are required for booting from SD

SWAP partiton is needed to use swap or virtual memory can be used. ("Virtual Memeory" Try to enable it on the card your not booting from, and remember this will sit on the FAT partiton so make sure its big enough for your virtual memory)

jffs2 This is the partition used by Flash. This will always be jffs2.

You can clone directly from jffs2 to ext2/3 and from ext2/3 to jffs2
flash device shows up as /dev/mtdblock4

SD cards show up as
/dev/mmcblk0 (Base card)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 (p1 is the first partition and should be FAT)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 (would be your first ext2/3 partition) and depending on how many partitions it could go from mmcblk0p1-7

These are the internal and external SD cards
mmcblk0
and
mmcblk1
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-12-20 at 21:10.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the Lower Rainland
I've tried to install the mgmt-tools after installing gparted-hack and the app manager keeps saying unable to install. Will try dpkg next.

Edit: tried dpkg and still failed. here is the log

Nokia-N810-36-5:/media/mmc1/Downloads/Debs# dpkg -i mgmt-tools.deb
(Reading database ... 21701 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking mgmt-tools (from mgmt-tools.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing mgmt-tools.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7', which is also in package libssl0.9.7
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
mgmt-tools.deb

Last edited by silvermain; 2008-11-23 at 20:10.

Originally Posted by silvermain View Post
I've tried to install the mgmt-tools after installing gparted-hack and the app manager keeps saying unable to install. Will try dpkg next.
Can you tell me what log says.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Same here:

Code:
Nokia-N800-23-14:/media/mmc1# dpkg -i mgmt-tools.deb

(Reading database ... 19898 files and directories currently installed.)

trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7', which is also in package libssl0.9.7

dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)

mgmt-tools.deb

Nokia-N800-23-14:/media/mmc1#

I am on it, I will fix the conflict, give me 10 minutes

It has been updated, download it again as of NOW and try again!!!

Code:
Nokia-N800-23-14:/home/user/MyDocs# dpkg -i mgmt-to ols.deb
tar: ./postinst: time stamp 2008-11-23 20:22:14 is 1853.820831299 s in the future
tar: ./md5sums: time stamp 2008-11-23 20:21:24 is 1 803.817810059 s in the future
tar: ./postinst~: time stamp 2008-11-23 20:19:58 is  1717.816009522 s in the future
tar: ./control: time stamp 2008-11-23 20:20:38 is 1 757.81451416 s in the future
tar: .: time stamp 2008-11-23 20:22:14 is 1853.8131 71387 s in the future
(Reading database ... 19898 files and directories c urrently installed.)
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/locale/sl/LC_MESSA GES/gail.mo', which is also in package libgail18
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken  pipe)
 mgmt-tools.deb
Nokia-N800-23-14:/home/user/MyDocs#

fixed libgail conflicts, please try again...

Managed to install with application manager without any problem.
You said you only tested it for OS2008.
I'm running on OS2007 and I get an error about the libpangocairo being missing.
Since I don't have any usb connection, I suppose there's nothing I can do about that, is there?

success!!!!